Hi! Casual evening baker...

Reaction score
Hi folks! I'm excited to find a forum like this as I'm getting a bit more serious about my evening baking hobby.

I'm a mother of two young children (toddler and preschooler) and a nurse. During my days off I'm constantly chasing the little ones so I wait until they're in bed to bake. I own too many cookbooks. My goal is to bake one or two recipes a week. Sometimes I improvise with mixed results. Sometimes I freeze the results for later or I'll bring it to work or it's breakfast. My dad taught me to bake and he learned from his grandmother from Sicily. I've been at this for 20 years or so just very slowly improving. My first cake collapsed but I just tried and tried again.

I used to not care what my baked goods looked like only that they tasted good. If a recipe called for decoration I never did it...until the past few years. Lately I've been piping and adding garnishes. It's pretty fun. I feel like I can do that now that my skills are becoming more reliable.

Tonight I'm making Sister's Coffeecake from The Great Scandinavian Baking Book. It'll probably be part of breakfast. ;)

I look forward to learning from your posts! Maybe I'll know something, too!

(Oh, I like to paint, too. The screed name stands for rose madder genuine.)

Reaction score
Here's my Sister's Coffeecake in case anyone wondered! Some of the rolls popped out. I think I stuffed everything too close together, but boy is it delicate and delicious. Great recipe.

Attachments

• IMG_3422.JPG
    IMG_3422.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 392

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hey Rose, welcome to the forum :). That coffee cake looks great btw :D.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

I paint too! What medium do you use?

Thank you!

I use watercolor and acrylic. I got a degree in illustration about 12 years ago and we couldn't use oils because of the quick turnaround for projects. Now I'd love to dabble in that but I still haven't got the time. Maybe when my kids are in school.

And yourself? What do you use?

Reaction score
I mostly use acrylics, but I also have some water-mixable oils that I use too. I just teach myself but have done some online courses. It's great fun! I need to make more time for it though, life always gets in the way.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack Sr

Latest Threads