Hi Everyone!

Reaction score
I just came across this forum today and thought it would be a lot of fun. Love to learn new recipes and tips, especially any tips that have to do with baking goods for people with type 2 diabetes. I was diagnosed back in 2008, and that has led to me experimenting with different types of flour, sweeteners, etc. Looking forward to getting to know all of you better.

Reaction score
Hey there, welcome aboard! :) Sorry to hear about your diabetes, which sweeteners have you found to be best for baking?

Reaction score
Hi Becky. It's been difficult finding things to use. Some people use Splenda to cut back on the carbs when they bake, but that particular sweetener tends to trigger stomach problems for me. Depending on what I'm baking, stevia works pretty well, usually if the recipe really doesn't rely on the volume of sugar to make the consistency right. I have had some success with xylitol too, and tend to keep a bag of it in the pantry.

Honestly, I haven't found anything that works 100% of the time. With cakes, I do find that if I use oat flour, unsweetened applesauce, and some stevia along with flavoring, eggs, milk etc, I can whip up something that tastes good, has a decent consistency, and is also kinder to my blood sugar.

Ask a Question