Hi Everyone!

Reaction score
Hi all!!

I'm new to this forum. I've been looking for a while for a baking forum that wasn't just about a certain type of baked goods (like a cake forum or bread forum), so I'm very excited to have found this one! I enjoy baking as well as making other types of sweets and treats (panna cotta anyone?). However, I am very guilty of not doing this as frequently as I'd like but I hope to be able to bake/create more often.

I'm looking forward to learning from these posts, getting to know other bakers/enthusiasts and perhaps sharing some of my baking adventures :)

Reaction score
Hi all!!

I'm new to this forum. I've been looking for a while for a baking forum that wasn't just about a certain type of baked goods (like a cake forum or bread forum), so I'm very excited to have found this one! I enjoy baking as well as making other types of sweets and treats (panna cotta anyone?). However, I am very guilty of not doing this as frequently as I'd like but I hope to be able to bake/create more often.

I'm looking forward to learning from these posts, getting to know other bakers/enthusiasts and perhaps sharing some of my baking adventures :)

Welcome Ninamari, you're in good company. We bake a bit of everything here. :rolleyes: I have a chicken hand pie in the oven right now.

Reaction score
Thank you Norcalbaker59 :) A chicken hand pie sounds delicious! What type of chicken filling? Something like a chicken pot pie?

Coincidentally, I made blueberry hand pies for the first time today :D

Reaction score
Hey Ninamari,
I love blueberries. I made a peach blueberry pie the other day. The peaches weren't very ripe so not that sweet--little disappointed, but the blueberries were delicious

Whenever I make piecrust I make two extra batches. I roll out of the extra pie crust and I use a round cutter to cut out 6 inch disks. I place wax paper between each disk; double wrap in plastic and place on a plate in the freezer. Once frozen I put the plastic wrapped disks in a freezer bag.

Whenever I want to pie I take out a disks. If I'm going to use a pie tin I placed the disk on the 10 frozen. As it thaws it will sink down into the pie plate. For a hand pie I'll thaw and put filling on one side, fold and seal.

Whenever I roast a chicken I cut up the leftovers and make a filling. I divided into 2 cup portions and freezer in freezer bags. It takes up less room than putting whole premade pies in the freezer. When I want chicken pot pie I pull out a pie disk or two and a bag of filling.

Chicken filling
I try to keep a bag of mixed frozen vegetables in the freezer so if I don't have the fresh vegetables on hand, i substitute with frozen vegetables.

2 tbsp oil
•1/2 c onion, diced
1/2 c mushrooms •
1 c. diced carrots
•½ c. diced celery
1 tsp garlic, minced fine
1 lb cooked chicken
1 c. frozen peas
1/2 tsp Rosemary, minced fine
1/2 tsp dried basil
2 tsp salt
pepper to taste

For Roux
3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp sweet white rice flour (or wheat flour)
2 - 3 c. chicken stock
1 tsp better than bullion chicken base
2/3 (6oz/170g) c. sour cream (optional)

Sauté onions, mushrooms, carrots, and celery until tender.

Add cooked chicken, peas, rosemary, basil, salt, and pepper. Sauté for 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.

Roux: in same skillet, melt butter. Add sweet rice flour whisk continually until it turns golden brown.

Add 2 cups chicken stock and better than bullion base.

Add back chicken mixture and stir until mixture starts to thicken. Add sour cream. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, simmer 4-5 minutes.

Add more broth if needed.

Adjust seasoning to taste

Reaction score
Norcalbaker59 - That's a really great idea, making a double batch and keeping some handy in the freezer. That recipe sounds delicious!

Ian - Thank you!! :)

Ask a Question