Holiday Baking

Reaction score
I made pumpkin pie, pecan pie, and cherry cheesecake for Thanksgiving. Twice. We went to the in laws and I took all three, and then we had dinner here this weekend. I made them again. I sent a lot of it home with other people, to help me avoid all those unwanted calories, but I did indulge somewhat. Yum.

What did you make? What do you plan to make for Christmas?

Reaction score
I made a swiss roll cake for the first time and I also made it printed with christmass trees all over! It turned out great!! But it was a LOT of steps but worth it in the end phew!

Reaction score
We had apple, pecan and pumpkin pie at Thanskgiving, but my MIL made all of those! We brought sweet potato casserole which is a hit, I guess you could call it baking since it has sugar, eggs and so forth in it. It's always been a bit of a family favorite at Thanksgiving and it's something I've made plenty of times so it's an easy go-to dish when we are asked to bring something!

As for Christmas, I made Christmas puddings from scratch last year and they were great so I am thinking of doing that again! Served with warm custard...yum!

Reaction score
Well, I wanted to make those amaretto/orange cookies, but I just wasn't in the mood.

I think I will pass on the baking this year. Although I might make some bread, since I have a bread machine, all I have to do it dump the ingredients in it and it does all the work. Isn't technology wonderful???

Reaction score
Holiday baking differs in each country. In Serbia, we usually make many different meals including several pies. But, these pies are not like American ones. We have usually two types. Those we make from home made dough ( yeast or no yeast) and those pies we make from store bought dough layers. They are extremely thin and we use them to make Baklava desert as well.

With these you can roll whatever you want but mostly we make it wit cheese, spinach, potato, cabbage, meat, pumpkin, etc..

Baklava and Tulumba are always present as well as some small cookies that are usually baked.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I know "pie" in America is usually a dessert crust filled with fruits, custards, or creams.

I have learned that "pie" in Europe usually means a basic crust filled with meats, cheeses, and/or veggies.
Here in America, we call those "pot pies".

Reaction score
I know "pie" in America is usually a dessert crust filled with fruits, custards, or creams.

I have learned that "pie" in Europe usually means a basic crust filled with meats, cheeses, and/or veggies.
Here in America, we call those "pot pies".
This really differs in most parts of Europe. English apple pie or Apple Crumble is what we in Serbia call 'Lazy Pie'. This means that we have more options when it comes to pies in comparison to other countries. I will find time to elaborate this but for now what they call a PIE is a sub category in Serbia.

Famous pies in Serbia are Sukana Pita ( Twisted Pie), Gibanica, Burek...

Reaction score
I don't really do Xmas but I am going to be off from work and I would really like to do something special or should I say different. With two days to relax from work, it would be good to try something new but not too complicated. I hope I have the energy to do something I can come back and share. As I type my eyes are burning with exhaustion.

Ask a Question