Home Baker's Mixer: Regular vs. Commercial

Reaction score
My brother in-law loves to bake. For this reason, he bought a commercial mixer. When I found out, I thought this was strange. He only bakes at home. As you probably guessed, I own a 'regular' mixer.

Do you use a regular or commercial mixer?

N5060.jpg
(What my brother-in law bought.)

Reaction score
Well, I guess if you are going to get something then you matter as well get the top of the line. Maybe, he bakes a lot at home and needs something more durable.

Reaction score
My brother-in-law bakes the same stuff that most people do - cakes, cookies, pies. None of them are fancy. I just think he wanted to get some type of gizmo to make his baking seem high-tech.

It's his (and my sister's) money. So, this purchase doesn't really matter. I just thought it was over-the-top.

Reaction score
I will use my hands until I can't use my hands any more. My grandmother always used her hands with the occasional hand mixer thrown in.. I learned from the best. I'm sure she would have loved these newer machines that save you the trouble, but part of the love of baking I have is the involvement. Maybe I'd change my mind once I got my hands on one, but for now, I'm happy doing things the old fashioned way and when my hands start to bother me, I'll spring for the big guns :)

Reaction score
I, too, am a hands on type of baker. I own a mixer but usually just use my wooden spoon. I'm old-fashioned, I guess. I'd rather it do the old-fashioned way than to use modern gadgets. It's more fun that way. I'm not against using machines such as mixers. It's just I prefer doing things by hand. Maybe it's just a force of habit with me. I'm not sure.

Reaction score
My brother in-law loves to bake. For this reason, he bought a commercial mixer. When I found out, I thought this was strange. He only bakes at home. As you probably guessed, I own a 'regular' mixer.

Do you use a regular or commercial mixer?

N5060.jpg
(What my brother-in law bought.)
The commercial mixers are nice. You can do so many things with them besides making cakes. I have been wanting one for sometime but they are so expensive.

Reaction score
I use a regular mixer right now or a spoon depending on how I am feeling that day. This year I have decided to break down and buy a commercial one. I have been putting it off because they are so pricey but I am baking a lot more these days. My dream is to own my own eatery with baked goods. I think it will be a good investment for my dream.:cool:

Reaction score
I don't have any stand mixer currently, but I've been thinking about getting one soon. I am trying to pair down some of my other appliances first to make room for it.

I thought KitchenAid mixers were the "gold standard" of stand mixers - I didn't even know there were any other industrial brands (other than the huge floor models). Does this have a better motor or something? What set's it apart from the KitchenAid models? Is it much more expensive?

My hand mixer usually takes care of most tasks for me. But I would really like to get the stand mixer to knead dough for me. I hate making a mess all over my counter trying to do it by hand.

Ask a Question