Home made Biscuits

Reaction score
as you can tell by the picture I'm struggling to get some good ones made

002.JPG

I've tried a bunch of different stuff,using buttermilk,different types of flour,butter or shortening or both and I even sift the flour :) I've used the toaster oven and the regular oven and they usually come out looking the same and taste about the same,I want them to be a lot better lol lighter and fluffier, this time I dumped the dough out onto a floured cutting board and used a sharp knife to separate the dough,i patted the dough down by hand and i still don't get the rise I want

I have been using self rising flour,the mix is 2 cups of flour,1/4 cup of shortening and just enough milk to get it off the bowl,any Ideas would be appreciated,I'm not having much luck with them,I need help or I may go back to buying Freezer Biscuits :)

the best ones I've made,have come from scooping the dough out in a 1/4 measuring cup,which makes any ugly looking biscuit and dropping that onto a baking pan

Reaction score
My mum is really good at these. She has really bad circulation in her hands, and her hands are always really cold! She swears that it makes all the difference. She rubs the butter into the flour, and does it from a height to trap more air in the mixture. She cuts them out with a sharp round cutter (with a fluted edge) but I don't know whether that makes any difference.

Reaction score
it could be the lack of a Biscuit cutter,I've tried jars and glasses and knives,using a measuring cup and not cutting it has worked best so far,using the measuring cup

Reaction score
Maybe you could try either using all purpose flour and adding a little extra baking soda for some added lift? I know not to expect much from my oven, but if yours is in good condition, you'd think it would turn out the way you want. They look yummy to me. I just found my biscuit cutters and plan to try making some from scratch myself soon. I tend to use Bisquick, but would just like the experience of making them from scratch.

Reaction score
it could be the lack of a Biscuit cutter,I've tried jars and glasses and knives,using a measuring cup and not cutting it has worked best so far,using the measuring cup
For me they look so much like something I would do and call it a success. What's the taste like? When you said biscuits I came looking for what I suppose you folks call crackers. I wish I knew how to help but to me they look fine and home made which isn't perfect.

Reaction score
I am spoiled by homemade biscuits and won't even buy the ones that you can get in a can at the store. They taste totally fake and gross to me. I have a super simple biscuit recipe that only requires flour, heavy cream, baking powder, a little sugar, and some salt. They are super easy to make and taste amazing.

Reaction score
When it comes to biscuits, I cheat...........

These are my FAVORITES....

Pillsbury-Grands-Biscuits.png

I know............Imma BAAAAAAAAD baker!!!!
LOL

Reaction score
i haven't bought any grands in a long time Chester,I started buying the freezer biscuits that sorta looked home made and they are really good

they tasted all right bella,but they should rise more and be a bit lighter or so I think anyway :) and I didn't have any buttermilk on this batch either

I may give the all purpose flour thing a shot Diane

and please share your recipe Tina,I haven't tried any heavy cream in them,YET lol but I will if you share your recipe :) but would it be OK to leave the sugar out ? I don't like it in Bread,so i try to leave it out when I can

and the recipe I use,is usually the one found on the back of the self rising flour sack,but the brand I've been using doesn't have one,so I'm using an easy one that I found :)

my sister can make excellent biscuits,but she doesn't make them anymore,but she keeps telling me to keep making them and I will get it figured out,which I haven't lol

Reaction score
thanks for the link chester,if i can remember to buy some butter milk,I'm going to try this recipe next

Tupelo Honey Buttermilk Biscuits
Makes 10 biscuits

2 cups White Lily self-rising flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chilled shortening, cut into pieces
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup buttermilk
Melted butter

Preheat the oven to 425°F and position the oven rack slightly below the center of the oven.
Lightly butter a round cake pan or cast-iron skillet.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk the flour, sugar and salt. Snap the pieces of shortening with your fingers
until the shortening pieces are no larger than peas. Make a well in the mixture and pour in the cream
and 2/3 cup of the buttermilk. Using your hands or a rubber spatula, sweep in the flour and turn the dough
until the dry ingredients are moistened and the dough resembles cottage cheese, adding enough of the remaining
1/3 cup buttermilk to reach this consistency.

Sprinkle the rolling surface with flour. Turn the dough out onto the surface and sprinkle the top with flour.
With floured hands, fold the dough in half and pat the dough into a 1/3 to 1/2-inch-thick round, using additional
flour as needed. Flour again if necessary and fold the dough in half a second time. If the dough is still clumpy,
repeat the folding process for a third time. Pat the dough into a 1-inch-thick round. Dip a 2-inch biscuit cutter
into the flour and cut out biscuits, ensuring you do not twist the cutter.

Place the biscuits in the pan, sides slightly touching. Brush the tops of the biscuits with melted butter and
bake for 15 to 20 minutes,
until light golden brown, rotating the pan 180°F after 6 minutes. Remove from the oven and brush the biscuits
again with melted butter.

I will probably leave the sugar out,or should I give it a try ? :) hmmm maybe half that amount the first time and how do I cut that down to 2 biscuits at a time ? lol another recipe that I will need to cut in at least half and we all know how well i am at that lol oh cut it in half and make 4 big ones and keep 2 for the next day

Reaction score
@justme4910 You can make your own Buttermilk at home using these. I put off making certain recipes for years not knowing this, but found out recently it's pretty simple to make your own at home using ingredients you probably already have on hand. Your sister should give you a tutorial on how she made hers. If you do come up with a recipe that works for you, I hope you share it with us!
buttermilk make your own.jpg

Reaction score
I never made these. I do not even know how they qualify as biscuits. Are they salty or sweet? Please leave a recipe here for the ones you made in the picture. They look like pastry like things and for the raising have you tried yeast, fresh or dry. Is that a possibility? Or baking soda or powder? Is that a possibility? I told you I don't know the recipe so I am guessing. I saw you used self rising flower but sometimes it is not enough.

Reaction score
this is what I used to make those

I have been using self rising flour,the mix is 2 cups of flour,1/4 cup of shortening and just enough milk to get it off the bowl

no sugar or salt

Reaction score
Ugh, I personally do not like canned biscuits, I think they taste funny now that I have had so many varieties of homemade biscuits. Homemade biscuits just taste like the real deal, I do not know how else to describe the taste.

Reaction score
I've made the butter milk with some lemon juice Diane,I will tell ya'll how they come out shortly :)

and no,i still don't have a biscuit Cutter

Reaction score
I've got the Tupelo Biscuits in the oven,the dough looks really good,I did cut the sugar in half,did you notice there is no Honey in the Tupelo Honey Buttermilk Biscuits? amazing isn't it ? :)

and yes they are square ones,again,I will own some biscuit cutters one day lol I wished i had some batteries these are looking promising

I am baking them in a cast iron skillet instead of a baking pan,so there is something else that could go wrong :) make that 2 cast iron skillets and i didn't need all the buttermilk at all

and I do have to say,I'm not very good at judging what is golden brown at all

Last edited:
Reaction score
i found some batteries,the wrong ones :)these are some great tasting biscuits,they rose and everything,very light and fluffy ,well damn I need gravy now :)
004.JPG

they actually look better than the picture

I do wish I could share these,the whipped cream is a killer,this is one of my better success since I've been on here mmmmmmmm biscuits, of course I guess your not suppose the be eating whipped cream biscuits very often ? right ?

that's what I thought:(

Last edited:
Reaction score
i found some batteries,the wrong ones :)these are some great tasting biscuits,they rose and everything,very light and fluffy ,well damn I need gravy now :)View attachment 560

they actually look better than the picture

I do wish I could share these,the whipped cream is a killer,this is one of my better success since I've been on here mmmmmmmm biscuits, of course I guess your not suppose the be eating whipped cream biscuits very often ? right ?

that's what I thought:(

Ooooo, those DO look good!!!!!

You know what goes good on biscuits with whipped cream????

Strawberries
Cinnamon peaches
Apricot Chutney
Caramel Bananas

Oooo, I think I just got a sugar rush from thinking about that!!!!!
:eek::p:D

Ask a Question