Homemade BBQ Sauce

Reaction score
a batch of BBQ Sauce is cooling on the stove top

it taste great,hopefully once it cools down,it will be at the desired consistency
biggrin2.gif

but for a first try,it is pretty good

here is what I've done so far

1 heaping cup of Ketchup

4 tbl Dark Brown sugar

1 tbl spoon mustard

3 tbl Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce

1 splash Balsamic Vinegar

Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning

ground Black Pepper

Salt

Ground Sage

Paprika

Hot Mexican-Style Chili Powder

Adobo Seasoning

i did use a lot of the Creole Seasoning and the Adobo,when I mixed it up and the rest were just given shakes as to what looked good at the moment
biggrin2.gif

I'm posting a picture of the spices,that is how i remember what I use,when I want to make some more

it is still thinner than I want,but I am going to let it cool all the way down first and see what it is like then

if not thick enough,it is either going to get some corn starch,unflavored gelatin or some mater past

008.JPG

what do ya'll make at home ?

Reaction score
hmm it has something way to strong,sorta salty but not really salt lol could it be the Adobe ? I haven't used it before or could it be the Balsamic Vinegar ?

the creole seasoning isn't that salty,I did add some salt but not much at all

and what would be best to use to thicken it with ? I assume the paste

Last edited:
Reaction score
Superfantastic! I run out of barbecue sauce here and there and I pretty much wait to get or miserably piece together something but not with these details. Nice work. Do let us know if it came out as you hoped.

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with mater paste, what is that made from? I think cornstarch, flour or even some additional brown sugar might thicken it up a bit. I have made my own before, but nothing nearly that elaborate. I tend to use as few ingredients as possible, probably because I don't have an extensive collection of spices and/or condiments, but I do try to keep horseradish mustard in the house, and might try adding some of that next time I make my own barbecue sauce. I hope you got it to the right taste/texture you wanted!

Reaction score
I've never made my own BBQ sauce but I do like making things like tomato relish - my grandmother used to always make her own tomato sauce and relish and I guess I just watched her making it so much that I learned it that way!

Reaction score
Oh JM you are KILLIN ME!!!!

I LOOOOOOOOVE BBQ!!!! I actually had some today for lunch.

I've never made my own BBQ sauce, as there are so many kinds in the stores that I like.

Reaction score
it is tomato paste Diane,I tomatoes maters a lot :) it is actually really good,just a tad hot but nothing bad at all,you don't have to grab a glass of milk and chug it down at all lol I guess you could call it warm

it could stand to be a bit thicker,but not a whole lot more,it is tasty on some Burgers that I've made,i think it will be great for some smoked meats too

I just grabbed what looked good from the cabinet and used to much Adobe seasoning,but it is still good :)

Reaction score
Ah, ok, I'll have to look for that. I guess it's in addition to the ketchup? No doubt it's purer and firmer than ketchup, and adds additional tomato flavor and acid. I made some the other day, but it was very basic, but delicious. I only needed enough to quick marinate 4 chicken thighs, and I poured the extra over. I definitely need to buy more Dijon and Horseradish Mustards, my supplies are way too low. I don't use sauce on my burgers, just mustard and dill relish :).

Reaction score
it did add more tomato taste for sure and thickened it up,I just kept track of the ingredients,so I will know what to do better the next time I make some ,I did end up up with a pint of BBQ sauce and it was really easy to make

Reaction score
I have a recipe (that I truly treasure) and is so similar to your recipe :) I love it, it's the best homemade BBQ sauce I've ever tried, and goes great with chicken!

Reaction score
We usually buy BBQ sauce in the grocery or supermarket and we always had a stock of this item so that it is readily available when we need it if we feel like eating barbecue. But if there are gatherings like birthday, Christmas and New Year, picnic, swimming party where many will eat we usually make our own BBQ sauce with only simple ingredients of...tomato ketchup, soy sauce, lemon juice or (pineapple juice), sprite soda, sugar, salt and pepper to taste. This is delicious and is already been tested by our taste. Thanks for sharing your recipe and I do love to try it too.

Reaction score
Again, such a nice topic where differences between cultures are clearly seen in something like BBQ sauce. In Serbia we do not have that. We can use ketchup or mayonnaise or whatever but we will not make a special sauce. We actually have a great history in BBQing and the way we eat the meat is very different so is the meat or the preparation. Basically, we have salads like cabbage salad or mixed salad, lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes...

Dairy products are another thing that we like to eat with BBQ. There is a sauce, a hot sauce called Ljutenica ( meaning Hot sauce or Hot stuff) and we use it not only for BBQ but for any other normal meal.

Reaction score
mayo in BBQ sauce ? I've never tried that djor

sounds gross from to me :) of course I've never tried any

Ask a Question