Homemade BlueBerry Muffins

Reaction score
I really dont think you've tasted a blueberry muffin until you have one that was homemade. I was so surprised at how different they taste from the packaged just add milk stuff. I found a great recipie online, with a yummy lemon glaze on top. Here is goes:

Ingredients

1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/2 tsp lemon extract
11/2 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup blueberries
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2-1 TB lemon juice
1 TB lemon rind
Instructions

In a large bowl whisk together milk, vegetable oil, egg, lemon extract and lemon rind. In a separate bowl combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and nutmeg. Mix the dry ingredients into the large bowl and stir until smooth. Fold in sour cream and blueberries.
Preheat oven to 375. Fill cupcake pan with liners (or use a cooking spray) and fill with batter about 2/3 the way full. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove muffins from pan and allow to cool.
Combine powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl and drizzle over muffins.

The original post can be found here
http://www.iheartnaptime.net/lemon-blueberry-muffins/

Reaction score
I love me some blueberry muffins. This recipe looks awesome, especially the lemon/blueberry combo. I like that the ingredients are simple and easy to find in any supermarket. Thanks for sharing, I pinned it to Pinterest.

Reaction score
Yummy! When my children were young I made homemade muffins all the time. I liked finding different types of recipes and making a variety of muffins for the family to enjoy. I don't know why I stopped! I agree that homemade (any kind of) muffins are much tastier than from a box. Any kind of anything tastes better from scratch, in my opinion! And that sour cream would make them so moist and dense...a must for me for cakes or muffins. I don't believe my recipe calls for nutmeg, though, and I think that would be a very nice flavor blended in.

Reaction score
Mmm, you got me with the lemon glaze icing. I've never had blueberry muffins with a lemon glaze. It makes me want to go buy some pre-made muffins just to put some lemon glaze on them to try it!

I've never made my own, though. Is there a potential for them to have soft areas around the blueberries? I would guess that you have to make sure that the berries are whole, without a broken skin, to get the best results.

Reaction score
Mmm, you got me with the lemon glaze icing. I've never had blueberry muffins with a lemon glaze. It makes me want to go buy some pre-made muffins just to put some lemon glaze on them to try it!

I've never made my own, though. Is there a potential for them to have soft areas around the blueberries? I would guess that you have to make sure that the berries are whole, without a broken skin, to get the best results.

I don't think that it makes it too soft around the berries, but they do sorta bust open while baking. Some that didn't pop will pop in your mouth. Honestly thats one of my favorite parts, that and lemon glaze.

Reaction score
I never had any issues with whole or not whole blueberries. As a matter of fact most recipes call to drain the blueberries if you used canned and I often didn't...not only are there nutrients that have leaked into the liquid, but I like the way that dark juice colors the muffins!

Ask a Question