Homemade Chocolates

Reaction score
During the holiday I tend to make a lot of chocolates, and mostly it is a form of recycling extra ingredients that I have or some sort of sweet item we don't like just on its own. We usually get at least one bag of the chocolate truffles that have the powdered cocoa on them and we do not like to eat them alone as they are too sweet. Instead of throwing them away, I melt them down and make my own chocolates out of them. Do any of you recycle ingredients this way?

Reaction score
I never really thought of doing that. I just keep them until it is time to use them again. It's a good idea though. I'm sure it could be fun to make homemade chocolate. THey'd make great gifts.

Reaction score
I don't do much candy-making during the holidays. It's mostly cookies and panettone. Actually, I don't believe I've ever tried candy making. I'd probably get good at it and it would be horrible for my diet. That's what happened with me and baking in general.
Usually, when we get candy as gifts, we either eat them slowly, throw them out or give them away to someone who would be able to appreciate them much more than any of us would.
In our house, we always make use of every ingredient we have and try hard not to let anything go to waste. If things aren't used up in one recipe, they are used for another. One small to medium spaghetti squash can go for two Italian dinners and we toast the seeds in the oven with a bit of oil and some salt on a cookie sheet.

Reaction score
I don't use up extra ingredients on making candy. I usually recycle extra ingredients by making cookies because you can put almost anything in a cookie.

Reaction score
I once had huge hersey's kiss that someone gaveme as a gift. The giant peice of cany weighed over a paound and there was no way that I was just going to eat it. I cut it up and then melted some of it down . The large Kiss was used in a few different recipes.

Reaction score
That's a good idea! I always have candy left over from holidays too, and I try to recycle them and make something new. I had tons of Reese's cups left over after Halloween, and I made cookies with them.

Reaction score
I try to make use of all edible things because I hate to waste food. I also make what I call "garbage cookies" in which I take all of my extra nuts and stuff and mix them into the batter. I use an oatmeal cookie base for these.

Reaction score
I once had huge hersey's kiss that someone gaveme as a gift. The giant peice of cany weighed over a paound and there was no way that I was just going to eat it. I cut it up and then melted some of it down . The large Kiss was used in a few different recipes.
My ex once gave me a chocolate computer from the Hershey's catalog, because I work on the computer a lot. I'm totally crazy, so my daughter and I ate the chocolate computer over a period of 4 days. I wish I'd thought of chopping it up like you did. We just pigged out on chocolate for a few days.

Reaction score
I've never thought to do that, but it's worth a try. Sounds like a great idea and would end up tasting delicious!

Ask a Question