Homemade Donuts

Reaction score
Do you ever make homemade donuts? I make them on occassion and thought I would share the recipe I use.

*Donut Recipe:
(Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees)

Mix:
*2 cups of flour
*1 1/2 cups of sugar
*1/2 tsp salt
(Set this mixture aside)

Mix:
*1 egg
1 1/4 cup of whole milk
2 tbsp of melted butter
2 tsp vanilla

Combine the dry mixture with the wet mixture until it is well mixed. Then, spray your cooking sheets! Next, spoon the batter into pans. Let them bake for 15 minutes. Once they cool, you can then add icing, sprinkles, or any other toppings you may want.

Do you have a donut recipe you would like to share?

Reaction score
Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. It looks pretty easy to make. I also like the fact that the doughnuts are baked and not fried. This will make them more healthy - not that doughnuts are known to be health food.
I had a recipe for fried doughnuts but have not tried it in years. I wish I could find it and share it with everyone on here.

Reaction score
There is a recipe that came in our bread machine recipe that I've made a few times.. I've never been disappointed by them and using the bread machine requires so little effort.

Your recipe sounds pretty easy as well and I too like how they are baked. Will need to give them a try. Thanks!

Reaction score
image.jpg
Yes I made some for the first time a while ago, adapting an existing recipe as I wanted the dough to be richer rather than just a slightly sweetened bread dough but very light.

Great fun things to make and rather indulgent. My recipe is on my blog at http://bakingfanatic.wordpress.com/2014/01/19/jam-doughnuts/ although if i am not supposed to post a link, in which case I apologise and will remove it, I can always copy and paste the text from my recipe link.

I much prefer them fried for the flavour and the texture, and they are not at all greasy but a friend recently made some baked ones which were lovely. But they are a rare treat so once in a blue moon is ok....he says, trying to convince himself!!
image.jpg

The recipe might seem a hit of a faff but it is quite easy. The challenge, though, is to get them very light and fluffy inside, with a gentle crust and a nice amount of jam. And well worth making.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wow those look really delicious and easy to make.:p I have always wanted to make donuts but didn't because I always thought it was a big task to take on.:eek: Quick question though, you say it should be 350 degrees now is that degrees
Celsius or Fahrenheit? And can you combine the mixture by hand or do you have to use a mixer or bread maker?

Reaction score
Thanks for the recipe! I have a friend who runs a small doughnut shop and she always tells me about her cool new recipes, but won't tell me her secret for the dough. I'll try these out next week.

Reaction score
I just woke up and now I'm super hungry. So very tempted... and I have some really nice jam! Must. Restrain. Self.

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! I also love that they are baked and not fried. For those of you that are interested churros are a delicious Spanish version of the donut that you can cover with cinnamon sugar, dip in chocolate or eat with nutella. I found a recipe by Marian Blazes I want to share & try:
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup butter
pinch of salt
1 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 large eggs
vegetable oil for frying
1/2 cup sugar plus 1 tablespoon
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Place the buttermilk, water, butter, salt, and 1 tablespoon sugar in a pot, and bring mixture to a boil.
Stir in the flour all at once using a heat-proof spatula. Continue to stir until the mixture clumps together to form a ball. Continue to cook for a minute or two more, turning the dough over in the pot with the spatula. Remove from heat.

Add the vanilla. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each. The mixture should just start to look shiny, but should not slide off the spatula easily. (It should be slightly stiffer than cream puff dough). If the mixture seems too thick and lacks shine, add an extra egg.

Place dough in a pastry bag fitted with a star tip that has an opening at least 1/2 inch wide. You can also use a round tip.

Place a sheet of wax paper on a cookie sheet. Pipe lengths of dough (I usually make them 4-6 inches long) onto the cookie sheet.

Place cookie sheet in the freezer while you heat up the oil. Heat 1-2 inches of oil to 375 degrees. When the churros feel firm, carefully pick them up off the cookie sheet with a spatula and drop them into the oil. Work in batches, and fry the churros for about 2 minutes on each side, until they are golden brown. Cool them on a plate lined with paper towels.

Mix the 1/2 cup sugar and the cinnamon together, and place the mixture on a plate or in a pan. Roll the churros in the cinnamon sugar while they are still warm.

Reaction score
Another favorite dessert of mine! I guess my sweet tooth is out of control! I will definitely try this one as well. I guess the most convenient for me is to fry it, even though it will have way more fat.

Reaction score
Thank you for the recipe! I tried a recipe that I found on YouTube once. It was so-so. I do not know if it was the recipe or the fact that I fried them for too long, but it was way too dense for my taste. I prefer a softer, fluffier type of donut. They tasted nice, besides that though. I just have not made the recipe since then. I would really like to try this recipe. The fact that they're baked is even better. Does anyone have any good glaze recipes? When I tried to make one, it didn't turn out the way I wanted. It was too watery and just oozed into the donut like water.

Reaction score
Making fried donuts at home could be dangerous ! I don't think that will stop me.

Reaction score
This was one of my very favorite things that we did together as a family when I was little. I loved making donuts. We would make them and then my dad would fry them. We made the ever famous donut holes and frosted them and ate and ate until we were so full we could hardly move. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I have been thinking of starting this tradition up again with my own family so I am really excited to try these.

Reaction score
Whoa this is so cool. I haven't made donuts before, so I really want to try it out using this recipe. This is so amazing because I love donuts. Maybe I'll try to experiment a little and add a few thing or two. I'm going to post pictures when I get the chance, but this really seems something delicious!

Reaction score
Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I tried it and it is really easy to make even for me. I will show you pictures later, because I am not at home right now. Just to tell you that my co-workers really like them and there is only one left. :)

Reaction score
Donuts! I'm a huge donut fan and sadly, I've never made one before. The above recipe looked to be simple so I know what my kids and I are going to be making! Thanks for the recipe.

Reaction score
That recipe sounds delicious, but I have to confess I have never made homemade donuts before. I usually will eat a donut in the morning if I am in a rush and am craving a sweet treat, but I purchase mine at the store.

Reaction score
Those look great. but with baking them and not frying how do they get fluffy like a traditional donut. I think I will make them myself
and I won't have to ask that question lol.

Reaction score
View attachment 126 Yes I made some for the first time a while ago, adapting an existing recipe as I wanted the dough to be richer rather than just a slightly sweetened bread dough but very light.

Great fun things to make and rather indulgent. My recipe is on my blog at http://bakingfanatic.wordpress.com/2014/01/19/jam-doughnuts/ although if i am not supposed to post a link, in which case I apologise and will remove it, I can always copy and paste the text from my recipe link.

I much prefer them fried for the flavour and the texture, and they are not at all greasy but a friend recently made some baked ones which were lovely. But they are a rare treat so once in a blue moon is ok....he says, trying to convince himself!!
View attachment 129

The recipe might seem a hit of a faff but it is quite easy. The challenge, though, is to get them very light and fluffy inside, with a gentle crust and a nice amount of jam. And well worth making.
These look delicious! I might give them a try!

Ask a Question