Homemade Granola

Reaction score
I have been making my own healthy granola for about a year now. I originally took an oatmeal raisin cookie recipe and doctored it. I omitted the oil, and the eggs (sometimes using egg whites). I have changed it many times, all the while trying to make it healthier and dryer. I want it to use it mainly as a cereal. Sometimes the only ingredients I use are oats, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, a touch of flour, a splash of milk, and nuts (usually walnuts). That is a very basic recipe, and it tastes good for being so healthy. I am always looking for more ideas in this recipe, as I like varying tastes. Just keep in my mind, this is meant to be a healthy food.

Reaction score
I think adding some healthy oil or butter would be a good idea. Walnuts help balance it but if you don't use many nuts try some coconut oil. That's a very healthy fat to have in your diet.

Reaction score
I love granola, and making your own is a great way to avoid the often high sugar ones you find in the supermarket. You can also use your own healthy fats, and again avoid the unhealthy ones that are used in commercial cereals.

Granola makes great breakfast muffins too!

Reaction score
I like adding dried cranberries and cherries to my granola. It gives it a little something extra so that it is not so grainy. I am not a fan of raisins so I had to find something to give me fruit content that I did not think was gross. Have you tried adding your granola to a bowl of yogurt? This also makes a good breakfast meal.

Reaction score
I am not as concerned with sugar as I am with fat. Unhealthy fat, that is. I usually add either walnuts or almonds, because they are the nuts I prefer and generally concerned the healthiest. I use extra virgin olive oil sometimes, but I read that if you heat it up, it breaks down the good qualities it has, and makes it no better than vegetable oil.

Reaction score
I am happy to see this thread. I was a big granola bar fan and then I read somewhere how they are really not as healthy as advertise. Since that I have gone from buying them in bulk to hardly ever buying any. So often I go to pick up one and then change my mind.

Anyway, call me the researcher. I had a quick look online and came up with these suggestions. Hopefully, I will find the time to try something here.

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/recipes/healthy/healthy-granola-bar-recipes-0222#slide-1

Last edited:
Reaction score
We make our own cereal and have for years. I guess it would be considered granola - it has oatmeal as the main ingredient.

Here is my recipe:
16 cups old fashioned oatmeal
2 cups sliced almonds
2 cups golden flaxseed
1/2 package - about 1/2-3/4 cup sunflower seeds
2 cups honey - heat in microwave for 35 seconds

Stir dry ingredients together and add honey - mix well.
Heat oven to 250 - bake for 45 minutes - stirring every 15 minutes.
When it is cool we add dried cranberries and blueberries.

We store the extra in a large plastic container because it makes so much. After having it for years I don't like store bought. :)
Enjoy!

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just joined the forum. I just would like to ask what kind of oatmeal did you use? ( brand or fineness of oats)

Reaction score
Hi. So sorry! Didn't see this until now. :(
I use just Quaker old fashioned oats. Not quick cooking.
I hope that helps.
And, welcome to the forum Ludmila. :)

Reaction score
Hi, Thanks for your replay:)
I love that, it is very healthy and keeps you in a good form.
I will come back.
Regards Ludmila

Reaction score
I like adding dried cranberries and cherries to my granola. It gives it a little something extra so that it is not so grainy. I am not a fan of raisins so I had to find something to give me fruit content that I did not think was gross. Have you tried adding your granola to a bowl of yogurt? This also makes a good breakfast meal.

I wonder if coconut oil can be used to make granola as well!? I'd like to try something like that, add some some dry cranberries, almonds oatmeal and pecan. I bet it would taste delicious!

Ask a Question