Homemade Ice Cream

Reaction score
I'm not really sure where to post this so I'm gonna just leave it here. My boyfriend just came across a recipe for homemade ice cream a couple days ago where you mix milk and vanilla, possibly another ingredient I can't recall at the moment, in one ziploc bag and then fill another with ice and salt, seal and throw it inside the milk bag and shake it up. I'm not sure this would quite work. I'm wondering if anyone has tried making homemade ice cream without an ice cream maker, and if so how?

Reaction score
This Works ! I have done this many times with preschool children and it is so much fun . You can also do the same thing with two metal coffee cans a small one and a large one. Put the ice cream mixture in the small coffee can. Then put the lid on the can and place the small can in the large can. Layer ice and salt in the large can around the small can all the way to the top. Next put the lid on the large can and roll it around for at least 20 minutes. You may want to put some duct tape on both lids to make them extra secure.

Reaction score
My friend has made ice cream with this method before and it turned out very yummy. My mom gave me a recipe recently in which you can make ice cream with condensed milk, whip cream, and the ingredients of your choice. You just whip it up and put it in the freezer for a couple of hours. It is super easy and tastes just like the ice cream you buy in the store.

Reaction score
I did this in high school for a little end of the year project in chemistry. I advise that you use gloves to shake the mixture because it gets freezing!

Ask a Question