Tips for Perfect Homemade Oatmeal Bars

Reaction score
I love cereal bars, and so do my kids. I have always wanted to try and make them at home instead of buying in stores. I have tried a few times, and every time I have bars that have a mushy bottom. The rest of the bar is fine. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Is there something I should be doing to the pan first? Am I not cooking them long enough? Thanks guys.

Reaction score
Hi,
Can you post one of the recipes to give us a better idea of what could have gone awry?
Hopefully someone can advise you.

Reaction score
Maybe I didn't chill it long enough either. I'm not sure. I really wish I could make these for my kids. Thanks.
Ingredients
    • 1 1/2 cups Rice Krispies ( for a firmer bar increase up to 2 cups)
    • 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
    • 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
    • 1/2 cup dark corn syrup or 1/2 cup light corn syrup or 1/2 cup honey
    • 1/2 cup reduced-fat peanut butter ( or can use regular peanut butter)
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla
    • 1/2 cup dark raisin ( or can use either 1/2 cup chopped nuts or 1/2 cup seeds or 1/2 cup coconut)
    • 1/3 cup mini chocolate chip ( to prevent melting refrigerate or freeze the chocolate chips before mixing in)
Directions
  1. lightly grease 11 x 7-inch, can use a 13 x 9-inch baking dish but you will have a thinner bar.
  2. In a large bowl combine Rice Krispies cereal, oats and raisins.
  3. In a saucepan stir the corn syrup or honey and brown sugar until just at a boil.
  4. Immediately remove from heat and stir in the peanut butter and vanilla until well combined.
  5. Pour over the dry ingredients in the bowl; mix to combine.
  6. Mix in mini chocolate chips (if using) work fast the mixture hardens quickly.
  7. Transfer the mixture into prepared baking dish, then using slightly wet hands push evenly down into the pan.
  8. While the mixture is still soft, for easier slicing take a sharp knife and slice into desired size bars.
  9. Chill until firm.

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the recipe.
Well, the only reason I can think of for the soggy bottoms is that maybe you didn't cook the syrup mixture long enough?
Otherwise, I'm stumped.

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try cooking it longer. If that doesn't work, I guess I could try another recipe. Does anyone have one that makes nice and crunchy cereal bars? I love using cereal as an ingredient. It's packed full of vitamins, and I always have a ton of it on hand.

Reaction score
Thanks, I think I'll try the peanut butter version too. My son loves peanut butter.It sounds so yummy. I definitely want them to be crunchy. Hopefully, they will turn out amazing, and my quest for the perfect homemade cereal bar will be over.

Ask a Question