Homemade Ricotta Cheese

Reaction score
I made ricotta before, and was happy with the results, but I was looking to make a soft cheese the other day and didn't have heavy cream on hand, and didn't want to go to the store, so I looked online for a recipe that used whole milk, instead. I found this one, and used it to make the ricotta that I subsequently used in these tarts. I think this is going to be my 'go to' recipe for ricotta in the future, it was that delicious.

I posted a recipe here before for ricotta pie that is similar to the ones my mom used to make. I don't have her recipe, but I remember that she would go to the local deli and buy ricotta there for the pie, because the typical ricotta sold in the plastic containers was too liquidy, and for the pie, it needs to be drier. I didn't realize at the time that I could probably use the ricotta in the containers and strain it for a while to dry it out, but I'd really rather make my own anyway. The ricotta that this recipe makes would be perfect in the ricotta pie, and I think I'll make a large batch in the future, and use it to make a nice ricotta pie - probably for Easter, or another holiday.

Attachments

• ricotta cheese (2).jpg
    ricotta cheese (2).jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 428
Reaction score
That's awesome that you've ventured into making your own ricotta - quite the cook as well as a baker!

I've never even contemplated trying to make my own. I guess it's one of those things that I imagined would be really difficult. Sometimes it's just the intimidation from even trying that gets the better of me.

Reaction score
That's awesome that you've ventured into making your own ricotta - quite the cook as well as a baker!

I've never even contemplated trying to make my own. I guess it's one of those things that I imagined would be really difficult. Sometimes it's just the intimidation from even trying that gets the better of me.

This was a really easy recipe and process @cupcakechef. I plan to try making other types of cheeses in the future, as well. I don't have a large kitchen, nor a bunch of specialized equipment, but I think there are a few I can make without having to purchase much. I'll share if I do, especially if they're dessert type cheeses, which some will be :). Sometimes if I'm feeling overwhelmed or intimidated by a recipe or type of item, I'll look for videos. Seeing it done ahead of time can help increase the comfort level.

Ask a Question