Homemade Vegan Coconut Macaroons with Condensed Coconut Milk

Reaction score
I made some vegan coconut macaroons the other day - I based my recipe on similar ones I had seen online that used condensed milk. Macaroon recipes often involve egg whites to bind the ingredients together so I was interested to see how it would be with just the condensed milk - except I made my own version with coconut milk :)

Ingredients:
400g tin coconut milk
150g sugar
200g dessicated coconut

First, make the condensed coconut milk. All you need to do is pour the coconut milk into a pan with the sugar, and heat until the sugar is all dissolved. Gently swirl the pan from time to time. Allow it to simmer over a low heat until the liquid has halved in volume and the mixture is syrupy. Allow to cool. Note: I made the condensed coconut milk a day in advance and allowed it to cool in the fridge overnight - during which time it formed a coconut oil crust on top. I scooped this off and saved it for other uses.

When you're ready to make the macaroons, combine the condensed milk (I had about 280g) and the coconut, and mix together. Divide into cookies using an ice-cream scoop, and bake in a pre-heated oven at 160 deg C for around 15 minutes. They are done when they are golden.

Best enjoyed warm!

vegan macaroons 1.jpg

vegan macaroons 2.jpg

They were a little crumbly, but still delicious. The best bit was the ring around the bottom where the sugar had caramelised... yummy! :D

In future I would make smaller ones to maximise the yummy edge!

Reaction score
Mmmmm, those look YUMMIE!!!

I love coconut, but not supposed to eat it because of my diabetes. But once in a while I will eat a macaroon.

My favorite macaroons are the ones with chopped up cherries inside!!!!

If you sort of make macaroon "cookies" out of these, you might get more of the caramelization you like so much!!!

2524ac298442c3512db60cfca175e7bc.jpg

Reaction score
If you sort of make macaroon "cookies" out of these, you might get more of the caramelization you like so much!!!

Yeah that's what I'm hoping! Smaller size means more total edge :D

I think they would be nice coated in chocolate too - it would be like a homemade Bounty bar. Yum!

Reaction score
Those look good, I don't like coconut though. What effect does it make to swap out non-dairy milk instead of regular milk?

Reaction score
Those look good, I don't like coconut though. What effect does it make to swap out non-dairy milk instead of regular milk?

The coconut flavour comes mostly from the desiccated coconut - so if you're not keen on coconut then swapping out the coconut milk probably won't help I'm afraid ;)

Ask a Question