Honey and Lemon Loaf

Reaction score
This is another in the series of my late Grannie's recipes that I have taken from her recipe book and scanned.

Apparently it costs about 56p to make, takes about 15 mins of preparation and cooking time is around 1 hours.

Ingredients
4½ oz margarine
4oz soft brown sugar
2 large eggs beaten
6oz self-raising flour
½ level teaspoon mixed spice
2 level teaspoons clear honey
2 tablespoons milk
4 oz icing sugar soften
½ a small lemon

Method.
preheat the oven to 350F (Gas Mark 4)
Grease and line a lof tine (9inch by 5inch by 2½inch)
Cream 4oz of marg with the sugar until light and fluffy
Beat in the eggs gradually.
Soft the flour and spice into a bowl and fold into the creamed mixture with the honey and milk.
Spoon into the tin and smooth the top
Bake in the centre of the oven for an hour or until firm.
Cut 2 thin slices of lemon into quarters.
Squeeze the juice of the rest of the lemon.
Melt ½ oz marg and stir into the icing sugar with enough lemon juice to make an icing that spreads easily.
Spread icing on the top of the cake and decorate with slice lemon.

Attachments

• Honey & Lemon loaf.jpg
    821.2 KB · Views: 519
Reaction score
That sounds delicious, though I would of course use real butter. Self rising flour is not something I have ever used. Was it more popular many years ago than it is now? I know you can just add leavening to regular flour and substitute.

Reaction score
I'd use real butter as well, I bet it'd taste much better that way. Other than that it sounds like a really tasty recipe, I actually love the simplicity of the recipes back then. So natural and earthy... unlike now that everything calls for so many things...that are at the same time loaded with chemicals. Love your granny recipes :) Back then you could fully trust the baked goods you were eating were actual food, not highly processed crap.

Reaction score
That sounds delicious, though I would of course use real butter. Self rising flour is not something I have ever used. Was it more popular many years ago than it is now? I know you can just add leavening to regular flour and substitute.
Self raising flour is a standard flour in the UK. Our options are plain, self raising, wholemeal and bread flour.
If I don't have self raising flour available (which is really unusual and it is more easily available than plain in shops) I will use plain flour and use more baking powder.
This is the BBC Good Food page on self raising flour. http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/self-raising_flour

Ask a Question