1tsp powdered cinnamon
¼ tsp mixed spice
13oz wholemeal flour
1 tsp baking powder
2oz sultanas
2oz blanched chopped almonds
2oz chopped peel

Method
Grease and line a 9 inch square cake tine with greased greaseproof paper.
Melt the honey and sugar over a gentle heat in a large saucepan.
Remove from heat and cool slightly.
Beat in the eggs and spices, and stir in the flour and baking powder until well blended.
Stir in the cleaned sultanas, chopped almonds and the chopped peel.
Turn the mixture into a prepared tin and bake in a hot oven (400F, 200C Gas 6) for about ¾ hr or until cooked through.
Cool in the tin, then turn out on to a wire rack and strip off the paper.

This cake improves with keeping. Store in an airtight tin and cut into squares to serve as required.

Makes 16 squares

Reaction score
This recipe sounds like something my husband would adore -- he loves any baked goods that have a honey flavour to them so I think this would be a winner to him! It also looks like a great recipe to enjoy when you have company over while enjoying a cup of tea or coffee. Appreciate you sharing the recipe, always glad to have new things to try out in the kitchen!

Reaction score
I love the taste of honey in baked goods :) Most of the times they are very simple and nice baked goods, with a great flavour and you know you are not consuming a lot processed ingredients while you are eating it. I love your grandma recipes :) They are like that, remind me of simpler times with more natural and unprocessed products.

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of honey flavours standing out strongly as well. What a yummy sounding recipe...I like that it sounds like the right amount of sweetness without being cloying or overwhelming. I'll add these to my list, too, it's really growing these days! lol

Ask a Question