Hopia: A Chinese Inspired Filipino Pastry

Reaction score
Hello everyone! :)

One of my all time favorite local pastries is called Hopia. It is traditionally filled with either munggo (dark beans) or kundol (white gourd cooked in lard as a complimentary replacement for pork). These days, various kinds of fillings have also been introduced like purple yam and pineapple. Hopia was introduced to the Philippines by Fukienese immigrants from southern China a long time ago.

Here's a recipe in case you guys are interested in making Hopia: :)

http://www.panlasangpinoyrecipes.com/hopia-munggo-recipe/

hopia.jpg

Photo courtesy of qdfriends.wordpress.com

Reaction score
Well I cannot say that I have ever had anything like this, but it looks delicious. That photo above looks particularly good, too, and I am not really sure what the filling is but I want some. Looks like a good dessert with a good texture, which I think goes underappreciated at time. Thank you for sharing...its on the list of things to get out and try.

Reaction score
Thank you so much for appreciating it @rz3300. :) I believe that the filling of the Hopia pastry in the picture is purple yam. This pastry is actually best eaten while it's freshly baked especially if you couple it with a warm cup of coffee.

Reaction score
I am not fond of hopia, that Chinese pastry with fillings but my husband buys that on occasions. There is a distributor in the mall of the Poland hopia which is the original from Chinatown. Well, don't be confused with the name of the bakeshop, it is not European but still Chinese with the family name Po. My husband's favorite hopia is the one filled with mongo (mung beans) which he likes for snack. And for him, it goes best with soda.

Ask a Question