Hot cakes!

Reaction score
I like to make my own hot cakes, I use a very simple, but very nice recipe :) They always turn out great! I know a lot people who use the mix from the box to make hot cakes, I sometimes do that if I'm in a hurry, but I honestly prefer the flavor of the ones I mix myself :)

What about you guys? Do you make you own mix or use the one from the boxes?

Reaction score
I admire people who make hot cakes (I call the pancakes) from scratch. I use a mix. Just add milk and an egg. That's my style.

Reaction score
Hi Tara! Well, thanks ;) I usually use a mix as well, not all the time, only when I'm in a hurry ;) But the rest of the time I do it from scratch. It's not so hard and you can tell the difference. I started doing this since they removed my fav brand from the market.

Reaction score
Right now I use a mix to make pancakes, but I'm going to look up the recipe for making them from scratch and see if it's cheaper to make them without a mix.
If it doesn't save me money to do them from scratch, I'll keep using a mix. I already make a lot of things from scratch. I don't have to make everything from scratch.

Reaction score
I like to make my own hot cakes, I use a very simple, but very nice recipe :) They always turn out great! I know a lot people who use the mix from the box to make hot cakes, I sometimes do that if I'm in a hurry, but I honestly prefer the flavor of the ones I mix myself :)

What about you guys? Do you make you own mix or use the one from the boxes?
I wish I could say I make them from scratch, but unfortunately I don't. We have 4 kiddos and our mornings are so hectic I'm lucky to have time just to make the ones from the box! :) I made them this morning and my kids love it when I put chocolate chips in them. Were usually crazy busy trying the get out of the house so the boxed ones, for now, work fine. :)

Danyel :)

Reaction score
Hi Danyel, I know what you mean! I actually only make mine from scratch on special occasions, when I feel in the mood and have the extra time, hahaha! Sometimes I don't even have time for a smoothie, lol, but sometimes I do and that's when I treat myself to hot cakes made from scratch ;) I don't really eat them often at all. I'm glad my mom taught me how to make those :) What brand do you use?

Reaction score
Right now I use a mix to make pancakes, but I'm going to look up the recipe for making them from scratch and see if it's cheaper to make them without a mix.
If it doesn't save me money to do them from scratch, I'll keep using a mix. I already make a lot of things from scratch. I don't have to make everything from scratch.

I really think it's way cheaper. If you want I can give you the recipe I use to make them from scratch and see what you think :)

1 and half cup flour
3 and half tbsp baking powder
1 1/4 cup of milk
1 egg
3 tbsp melted butter
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
A pinch of salt

In a big bowl mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the other ingredients and mix well, you can use a mixer for a better result, but can also do it with a spoon. Once done prepare your pancakes the way you usually do...

By the way, I'm also in a similar situation, best of luck!

Reaction score
I really think it's way cheaper. If you want I can give you the recipe I use to make them from scratch and see what you think :)

1 and half cup flour
3 and half tbsp baking powder
1 1/4 cup of milk
1 egg
3 tbsp melted butter
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
A pinch of salt

In a big bowl mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the other ingredients and mix well, you can use a mixer for a better result, but can also do it with a spoon. Once done prepare your pancakes the way you usually do...

By the way, I'm also in a similar situation, best of luck!

I didn't realize that it was so easy to pancakes. I don't have rushed mornings. I just never bothered to make them from scratch. I will give this recipe a try when my niece comes over for a visit. She loves my pancakes.

Reaction score
Sure! I can assure you she will like them! I really hope you like them too! The whole process is so similar to what you do with the mix, well, at least the mix I sometimes use... which requires one egg, melted butter, milk... But for some reason this one is much better!

Reaction score
I'm going to try the above recipe as well. Lately I've been on the lookout for multigrain pancakes that don't require a lot of prep (more like add water and mix). Otherwise, my fav pancake mix comes from Cracker Barrel's online store.

Reaction score
Yeah, please do and let me know how it goes! You can replace that flour for a wheat or multigrain one if you like, the result would be the same :)

Ask a Question