Hot Cross Buns

Reaction score
Does anyone plan to make them this year? I have never done it, but the idea is playing around in my mind. Any favorite recipes?

Reaction score
I got so excited when I saw this thread. I thought there was someone arranging to have some shipped to me:). I love, love, love them. I just have a serious weakness for them and prefer not to see a lot of them around me. When I do, I just eat and eat until I stop and that's usually when there are all gone. I honestly don't know I would try it immediately but I think this recipe does not look that difficult.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/400617/hot-cross-buns

Reaction score
My friend's mom likes to make them, but to be honest I don't see what the big fuss is about. I really dislike anything with raisins in it. This recipe looks very good:

Reaction score
I am here watching the video in delight. Now I have all these recipes, I am more than eager to try it and for me it won't be a Easter thing. I could eat them all year round. I am so excited. I love them even though I probably should not. I don't have a standing "ghetto machine". Oh Trellum, I have to convert you to the raisin world.

This is starting to be a little long though. All the rising and rising, I am not sure anymore:). You know I like my quick and easy recipes. I am happy with just a hot bun.

Reaction score
@Trellum I also dislike anything with raisins in them as well, so make your own and omit them. Add whatever it is you prefer, in my case chocolate chips or date pieces (but only the nice dates that come with stones in them... so you have to de-stone them and then chop them by hand first, but that is part of the fun.)

I am considering making some this year. But I would want the type that you unravel, rather than the ones that are more like a bread roll... I shall have to go off and have a look for a recipe. I have some fresh cinnamon sticks that I would love to use...

Reaction score
That sounds like a great idea!!! Thanks for the suggestion, Connie, I hadn't thought about adding dates! I might get some next time I decide to try this, are the ones with the stones better? Do they really taste much better?

Reaction score
That sounds like a great idea!!! Thanks for the suggestion, Connie, I hadn't thought about adding dates! I might get some next time I decide to try this, are the ones with the stones better? Do they really taste much better?
oh, the ones with the stones in them are a thousand times better. I have 5-7 a day as a treat, roughly 100-140 calories (I'm on a diet because my mobility is extremely limited and I take steroids as well sadly)...
There is no way I would ever go back to the pressed dates or even pre-stoned dates off the supermarket shelf.
Treat yourself and find yourself a proper Asian supermarket and if like me there are none nearby, go online and buy from one that way. My favourite (excluding the massively expensive Agwah dates which are really delicious) are the Safawy dates followed by the slightly cheaper Khudary dates. At the store I purchase them from online in the UK, 500g are £4.49 but WOW the difference is stunning.

Reaction score
I am not a raisin lover, so I have never actually tried hot cross buns. Perhaps I could put in a different sort of fruit? I am not sure what kind of flavored pastry base you use so other fruits might be gross mixed into them.

Reaction score
oh, the ones with the stones in them are a thousand times better. I have 5-7 a day as a treat, roughly 100-140 calories (I'm on a diet because my mobility is extremely limited and I take steroids as well sadly)...
There is no way I would ever go back to the pressed dates or even pre-stoned dates off the supermarket shelf.
Treat yourself and find yourself a proper Asian supermarket and if like me there are none nearby, go online and buy from one that way. My favourite (excluding the massively expensive Agwah dates which are really delicious) are the Safawy dates followed by the slightly cheaper Khudary dates. At the store I purchase them from online in the UK, 500g are £4.49 but WOW the difference is stunning.

So sorry to hear that, my mobility is also limited right now :( I am also trying to watch what I eat, and to be honest those dates sound perfect for when the craving attack! Thanks a lot for the tips, I'll surely try getting them online (no good Asian supermarkets over here), I'll start searching for a good online source :)

Reaction score
So sorry to hear that, my mobility is also limited right now :( I am also trying to watch what I eat, and to be honest those dates sound perfect for when the craving attack! Thanks a lot for the tips, I'll surely try getting them online (no good Asian supermarkets over here), I'll start searching for a good online source :)

So sorry to hear about you both having mobility issues and being restricted. Please don't make matters worse but overindulging in these things yummy things. I am trying to wrap my head around the dates idea. It's a little tough as I so long for the taste of the original recipe. I am also seeing some ingredients that I am not familiar with.

Anyway, a few minutes ago, a guy who works in a local bakery visited my office and the hot buns subject came up. I was so tempted to tell him bring me a batch or something but I sat tight and told him I'll try to make some, some time in the future. He has to be back tomorrow. I hope I can keep quiet and not get trapped. He says he makes the best in the island. Oh how tempting it is.

Reaction score
Thanks for your concern :) I'm a bit restricted until I have my surgery (can't really do much right now), so yes, I better stay away from things like this! It's so hard tho!!! So many amazing things... Every time I check Pinterest I see a nice dessert recipe that looks super sinful and decadent, lol. I'm dying to try a poke banana pudding cake.... I so very much want to make one of those!

Ask a Question