Hot cross SCONES!

Reaction score
My cousin sent me a pic today of a hot cross scone she’d picked up from a café. I cannot believe the concept has never crossed my mind before! A fraction of the time to make and all of the taste. You just have to sacrifice toasting if that’s your thing. I cobbled together a recipe and it turned out pretty well!

Hot Cross Scones (excuse the format but I’ve copied and pasted from my scribbled notes as I went along)

Mix together 225g self raising flour, 1tsp baking powder and 1-2tsp mixed spice to taste.

Rub in 50g butter or margarine until it looks like breadcrumbs.

Mix in 25g caster sugar, 70g dried fruit and the grated zest of 1-2 oranges.

Crack an egg into a measuring jug and add milk to take it up to 150ml.

Add the milk to the dry ingredients in little goes - you’ll probably only need two thirds of it. You should have a soft but not wet dough.

Roll or pat the dough to about an inch high and cut into circles with a fluted metal cutter. (2 inches is about standard but I went bigger!) Place on a greased or paper-lined baking tray and brush tops with rest of milky egg mix. Bake at 220C or 200C fan for 10-12 minutes. When still hot, roll out some marzipan to make the crosses and pop on top or if you don’t like marzipan you can lightly slash a cross in the tops after the egg wash but before they go in the oven.

They were utterly delicious!

783B7D89-8C67-48AB-A512-017971585EEA.jpeg

Reaction score
OH those look so yummy. And you are right, quick and easy. I used to go to this shop for Sunday brunch. The woman who ran it was from England, so every thing she served was a reflection of her heritage. My first lemon curd on a scone, bangers and mash. Oh and this cabbage dish she used to do was heaven. And now what I know is something called bubble and squeak, I first ate there. But she made hers more in the shape of croquettes instead of a patty. Those things were my favorite. I swear I could eat a platter of those things!!! She had the best earl grey tea. You could really taste the bergamot. It is so hard to find good earl grey tea in the US.

Ask a Question