How Do You Keep a Cheesecake From Cracking?

Reaction score
My cheesecakes always come out delicious, but the tops always crack? What am I doing wrong? Am I getting the oven too hot or maybe cooking it too long? I want them to look as good as they taste! Please help me!

Reaction score
There are two tricks to try: (that I know of!!)

1) Mixing Bowl
Once you have removed the cheesecake from the oven place a mixing bowl over the top to cool it. I'm not sure why this one works but it does!

2) Water
You can put a pan of water UNDER the cheesecake whilst cooking in the oven, this keeps the moisture in and prevents any cracks ;-)

Reaction score
Oooh! I will have to try those! There are a couple of ladies at work who want me to make cheesecakes for them, but I would be embarrassed to send them cracked! Looks are just as important as the taste, you know! Thanks!

Reaction score

2) Water
You can put a pan of water UNDER the cheesecake whilst cooking in the oven, this keeps the moisture in and prevents any cracks ;-)

This is the method my mom uses when she bakes cheesecakes. It really does work like a charm.

Reaction score
This is the method my mom uses when she bakes cheesecakes. It really does work like a charm.
Moms are usually the best people to ask, but my mom could burn boiled water! I will do that next weekend when I make my big batch! Thanks!

Reaction score
I wish you all the best MrsRoach, please let us know how it turns out! :p

Reaction score
Oh, I will! Next weekend will be my big baking weekend since it will be my next weekend off! The cheesecakes are just one of my many plans!

Reaction score
This sounds intriguing and I would love to see how you get on with it all :)

Reaction score
Water bath is the answer, yes. Although... I personally like some singe and crackle in my cheesecake, which is practically the reason I prefer homemade, so I'd personally be more likely to go with covering up the cracks with topping.

I might also suggest a cake leveler, if you're in a rush or forgot the water bath and just want to evenly scrape it off...although, that would still need topping to cover up the saw marks. On the other hand, guests get a pretty-looking cake, and you can keep the good parts with the single and crackle for yourself later! It's like...having a cake and eating it too.

Reaction score
I use a round silicone pan under the cheesecake. No leaks, no cracks, perfect cheesecakes every time. Look at my Kickstarter project.

Reaction score

1) Mixing Bowl
Once you have removed the cheesecake from the oven place a mixing bowl over the top to cool it. I'm not sure why this one works but it does!

2) Water

That's what I was taught as well! It works out every time for me =).

Reaction score
My technique, you put the springform pan inside a silicone. Then you put it in a pan of with one inch of boiling water (even temperature, no cracks, no leaks). Perfect cheesecake every time.

Reaction score
Maybe you are overcooking it? That could make any pie get cracks all over it. You should really try to cook it at a lower temp or cook it for less time if the other tips don't work.

Ask a Question