How do you keep your cookies soft?

Reaction score
Mine always harden up within a day or two. Do you have any cookie preservation tips?

I tried microwaving a few wrapped in a wet paper town and it helped. Still, it's not the same as when they first come out of the oven.

Reaction score
I just lock them away in an air-tight container, this generally does the trick, however, my cookies tend not to last that long :p

Reaction score
I was discussing this with my work colleagues and a slice of potato peel will also help keep moisture, not sure if this is something you may want to try also :)

Reaction score
I found that if I put the cookies in an air tight container,, a zip lock bag works well as well as a Tupperware container,, with a piece of white bread or a slice of apple that I change out every day or so,, if they last that long,, does the job of keeping them soft.

Reaction score
For me, the way my cookies stay soft starts with baking. When I make my cookies I always use room temperature butter and eggs. Be sure to not over-bake them also. After they are cooked or almost cooled I store them in an airtight container. The moisture from a slightly warm cookie will also help to keep them moist but they might stick together. Cookies normally don't last long in our home :)

Reaction score
I do exactly what someone else has said. After I let it cool for a bit on the cooling rack (like no more than 2 minutes), I put it in an airtight container (tupperware, etc) and put it in the microwave until all my cookies are done. I keep it in the microwave until I'm about to go to bed. Usually the cookies will stay soft, even after a week or so. But my cookies never last for more than 5 days in the house anyway :)

Reaction score
Put them in a ziploc bag and throw a piece of bread in with them.
That's what I came here to suggest too. Although you don't have to go with a ziplocked bag, it can be any container. My mum for example has this huge tub-aware box which she uses. As long as it's something which takes it out of the open air, you should be fine

Reaction score
I agree, keep then in a ziplock bag and they will stay fresh and soft fro days. Part of the problem is that a lot of people put their cookies into cookie jars, which are cute and all, but are often not the best place to store the cookies.

Reaction score
I agree, keep then in a ziplock bag and they will stay fresh and soft fro days. Part of the problem is that a lot of people put their cookies into cookie jars, which are cute and all, but are often not the best place to store the cookies.
Depends on the jar really. I mean, people have put a lot of thought and money into this, so you can actually buy some cookie jars which are designed with this exact problem in mind.

Reaction score
We always freeze ours as soon as they have cooled. Double benefit being that it keeps them for a lot longer and temptation is removed from view!! ;)

Reaction score
We always freeze ours as soon as they have cooled. Double benefit being that it keeps them for a lot longer and temptation is removed from view!! ;)
Like I wouldn't eat some frozen cookies!
Now I want some frozen cookies. Goddamnit.

Kas

Reaction score
I put them into an airtight container. I like to get them in there just before they cool down completely. Then I cover them with plastic wrap before I put the cover on. That seems to work well for me.

Reaction score
My cookies tend to go hard after a little while in the cupboard. I heard that putting them in a air tight container with a slice of bread helps. I'll try the ziplock bag thing though. I haven't heard about that before.

Reaction score
I put them into an airtight container. I like to get them in there just before they cool down completely. Then I cover them with plastic wrap before I put the cover on. That seems to work well for me.
Maybe I'm thinking of this wrong, but would wrapping them in plastic while they're still warm not be kind of...not great since it'll melt the plastic into the cookie?

Kas

Reaction score
Maybe I'm thinking of this wrong, but would wrapping them in plastic while they're still warm not be kind of...not great since it'll melt the plastic into the cookie?
Re-reading what I wrote, I guess I should've explained it better. :) My cookies are not completely cool, but they are just about cool. So, they aren't really warm. And what I meant is that I take plastic wrap and place it across the opening of the container. Then that will be secured in place by putting the cover on top of that. The plastic wrap never touches the cookies. I hope I am making better sense this time. :) I really only tried doing this to try to keep them fresher. And it seems to work for me.

Reaction score
Re-reading what I wrote, I guess I should've explained it better. :) My cookies are not completely cool, but they are just about cool. So, they aren't really warm. And what I meant is that I take plastic wrap and place it across the opening of the container. Then that will be secured in place by putting the cover on top of that. The plastic wrap never touches the cookies. I hope I am making better sense this time. :) I really only tried doing this to try to keep them fresher. And it seems to work for me.
Ohhhh! I get you now! Yeah that makes a lot more sense now that I understand exactly what you're doing. Silly me, I probably should have realised you weren't wrapping the warm cookies up in plastic wrap

Reaction score
My mother always wraps her cookies after baking them. She waits until they are cool and then wraps them with a layer of wax paper and then tin foil and into the freezer they go. Now that mom and dad are alone in their house, they would not be able to eat all of my mom's treats before they went stale and so the freezer is a must.

Ask a Question