How do you make cookies chewy?

Reaction score
How do you make cookies chewy?

Normally, after I bake a batch, they are soft, but not chewy. The cookie I bake are chocolate chip and/or shortbread. I am wondering if there's an ingredient I can add more of to change their texture.

Reaction score
That's a good question. We've probably all tasted those store bought cookies that seemed specifically chewy. I wonder this as well, if there is some ingredient that needs to be added or less of a specific ingredient to make the cookie more chewy.

Reaction score
More brown sugar than white makes a cookie chewey and moist. I have also made oatmeal chocolate chip cookies to get some oats into my gang and again with more brown sugar they are chewey and delicious. Add your favorite nuts and no one will even mention the oatmeal.

Reaction score
I've always thought they they made cookies chewy because of some kind of chemical they put in it. I guess you could increase the amount of oil you use though I am not sure.

Reaction score
I think swapping the butter for oil works - I'm sure I've tried that before. Maybe shortening the baking time as well. I read a guide on this recently, which listed all the different textures that cookies can have and how to achieve them, but I didn't bookmark it or anything. I wish I had now!

Reaction score
Chewy or soft? Chewy (what a great word, "chewy") is the texture of oatmeal cookies. "Soft" is what you get in a chocolate chip when you take them out of the oven before they seem fully baked. My mom used to make chocolate chip tooth busters. She never really got the idea that those just barely browned around the edges chocolate chippies were done. Those of us who are willing to pull them out of the fire when they still have the general look of raw dough, well now . . . we get the prize for "Most Pleasantly Textured Cookie." Chewy, though, that's all oatmeal's neck of the woods. Oatmeal owns chewy. I say combine the best of both and sprinkle the chocolate chips into your oatmeal cookies. Nobody wants those healthy raisins anyway.

Ask a Question