How do you make cupcake icing look professional?

Reaction score
Hello!
I was wondering how I would be able to get the cupcake icing look like it was store bought. I assume I would have to pipe the icing out, but I feel like the icing should be a special consistency. Something light?
Please help!
Thank you!

Reaction score
I always make sure that it's nice and fluffy...adding a teensy bit of milk and beating it with your mixer can help. In fact, you should always beat even store bought frosting because it changes the texture. Then, I just pipe it from a frosting bag.

Reaction score
I agree with LindaKay's comment above, beating it until it's super smooth and fluffy gives it a great texture. I use a piping bag with a nozzle - if you start in the middle and spiral outwards you get a rose. If you start in the middle and spiral outwards, but then when you get to the edge carry on until you get back to the middle then you get a more traditional cupcake swirl.

You can get loads of different shaped nozzles though, so have fun playing around with different techniques!

Reaction score
Definitely use a piping bag and make sure it is super smooth like the others have said. I put mine back in the fridge for a couple of minutes in the piping back because I think it makes it easier to pipe neatly.

Reaction score
Echo using a piping bag...it's just so messy otherwise. A key thing to remember is to have fun - it can really feel like you're back in an art class at school, making pretty patterns and using (food) colouring! There are loads of tips online and many inexpensive books to show you step-by-step ways of getting some very professional looking results. Practice is important, which does mean you'll have to make lots and lots of cakes - what a shame..! :p

hhh

Reaction score
You have to use the right equipment of course! If you just spoon it on and hope for the best, I can assure you it won't look as professional as you might want. Like the comments above, I would definitely invest in a piping bag they're cheap and give you the desired look.

Ask a Question