How Does Baking Yourself Change The Amount of Sweets You Consume?

Reaction score
For me, it's either one of two things:

1) Whooohooo! Making it myself! Super cheap, super tasty! Might as well make a lot. Maybe I'll share with friends and colleagues, yay!

So I make big batches and sometimes I share, and sometimes they turn out in a way I would not want to share or I just don't have people to share them with. So, I eat the most of it myself. But it's delicious!

2) I'm making it. Oh my god, that's a lot of sugar. That's a lot of oil. That's a lot of butter. This really isn't too healthy, is it? Damn it, now it's too late to divide the recipe. I have no idea if the divided recipe would be as good. Oh my god it's like a heart attack in there.

So either making it myself makes me pretty lax about eating a lot of sweet and unhealthy things, OR it makes me much too aware of how sugar packed it is and sugar is worse than fat and aaagh. Actually, even when I'm aware, I end up eating a lot of it, whatever.

How does YOUR attitude toward food and consumption of sweets change when you make it yourself?

Reaction score
Honestly, I never really thought about it. When I bake I just bake. I won't bake if I'm watching my weight or on a special diet, unless it's for others.

Reaction score
I don't diet. I'm active and I walk for miles in the park and don't drive anywhere.
So I eat what I want and stay a medium sized person, neither fat nor skinny.
If I bake, I share it and enjoy it. I don't obsess over food.
If I eat a cupcake, I know that I'll burn it off later when I walk my dog in the park.

Reaction score
No, I still eat the same amount and maybe more if I bake a cake as it tastes better fresh and usually I am the only one eating it. I do tend to put a little less sugar in when I bake, but a chocolate topping makes up for it. I have a sweet tooth, so I enjoy my food but am aware of my sugar consumption levels.

Reaction score
I don't diet. I'm active and I walk for miles in the park and don't drive anywhere.
So I eat what I want and stay a medium sized person, neither fat nor skinny.
If I bake, I share it and enjoy it. I don't obsess over food.
If I eat a cupcake, I know that I'll burn it off later when I walk my dog in the park.

This is a reminder that I need to get back walking my dogs. That aside, I want to stay as far away from sweets as possible as I am borderline diabetic and not nearly as active as ACSAPA. When I do bake, and it's something that the other two in the house won't devour, I try to get it out off the house quickly by sharing it with friends and on the odd occasion family. Family has a professional baker who's always sending them all kinds of cakes.

If the sweet stuff stays around me too long I am constantly picking at it. Lack of self control.:(

Reaction score
Well, some years ago I didn't think that much about how much sugar I was adding to the batter, but now I can tell you that I do. So baking for me didn't change at all the amount of sweets I consumed, not back then, but as I got older I started to realize all that sugar had to go somewhere. I didn't want to see it, but now I do.

Reaction score
I have never considered if I eat more or less sweets when I bake them myself. I would have to say that I probably eat more when I bake them because I bake when I am craving sweets to begin with. It is a love hate relationship with sugar. I have tried to cut back on sugary foods all together though.

Ask a Question