At what age can kids start helping in the kitchen?

Reaction score
Three or Four and up would be the acceptable ages, anything younger than that and the kids don't listen and are likely to do something stupid. My nephew is five years old and he loves baking and cooking. It's awesome.

Reaction score
I've had my son, who is Autistic, help off and on in the kitchen since he was 3 years old, he is 7 now. He loves to stir the pot and cut up vegetables with kid safe scissors. We have so much fun. He loves to learn about food.

Reaction score
My mom let me stir the scrambled eggs when I was 5. She was standing right there though keeping an eye on things. I think it just depends on the child and their ability to focus on the task and do only what they are instructed to do.

Reaction score
My king is just two years old and he already helps in the kitchen. He began when he was little under 2yrs to help me prep his oatmeal so it would be ready to make the next day. Then, he started helping with everything else. I really want to make him one of those tower helpers cause right now we use a chair with my leg up as a barrier. He helps me measure and pour and mix. LOL The mixing he needs mommy's help but we love it. He knows enough that when mommy says 'okay that's it, this is hot' he lets me bring him off the chair and steps away while I put whatever it is in the oven or stove.

Reaction score
I remembered when I was still single I had a nephew who was 5 years old at that time and we had saw in him a passion for cooking already. Instead that he was playing with his siblings he was there in the kitchen watching me and my mom while cooking. He would even like that he will be the one to chopped the garlic, onion, tomatoes and green onions as I remembered. And even doing the sauteing he likes it. Just imagined at a young age for a little boy who likes to cook already. Now he was a teenager already in high school and he grows up cooking certain dishes already and he said he will take up Culinary Arts in College because he likes to be a Chef. If you see your children having an interest already in cooking at an early age let them to explore that things and support them in their dreams in life.

Reaction score
I feel six or better is good to start teaching them unless they can grasp it at an earlier age faster. One of my friends children is only three and he cooks for a living so he's already taught her how to make simple things like Waffles or Toast in a toaster, scrambled eggs - and she knows how to make them, the proper safety steps and what she should and should not do. At such a young age I can't help but feel she is talented. Or she just wants to spend time with Dad. Double win win, she'll learn how to cook and Dad gets family time.

I started teaching some kids I babysat and nieces/nephews around the age of six+ however. That way they can grasp whats going on better.

Reaction score
The other day I sat down to watch a MasterChef Jr rerun. O...M...G... LOLOL I thought it would be simple plates because they're kids, but WOW!!! I mean, these are "grown-up"techniques these kids are doing!

Reaction score
I think it really depends on the child. If the child is "mature" enough to listen and follow directions, I don't think the age matters so much. I let my kids do stuff in the kitchen when they were very small. Of course, they had full supervision. If they didn't listen, they'd be warned that they wouldn't be able to help. My main concern was that I didn't want them getting hurt or burned, so I was fairly strict about it, but I still tried to keep it as much fun as possible.

Reaction score
I think it really depends on the child. If the child is "mature" enough to listen and follow directions, I don't think the age matters so much. I let my kids do stuff in the kitchen when they were very small. Of course, they had full supervision. If they didn't listen, they'd be warned that they wouldn't be able to help. My main concern was that I didn't want them getting hurt or burned, so I was fairly strict about it, but I still tried to keep it as much fun as possible.

I was going to type that it depends on the maturity of the child. As soon as they can demonstrated some level of maturity I think they should be encouraged. As you alluded to, the age will vary based on the maturity level of the child. I won't be surprise to see a four year old help out in the kitchen with proper supervision.

Reaction score
Maturity level does help, and understanding orders even more. However it's not the end all be all if you have proper supervision. I've let someone as young as three years old help with cooking her own meals, but I hovered over her most of the time to make sure the youngun didn't burn themselves. I'll have you know she can cook frenchtoast like a champ!

Reaction score
I think it really depends on the kid's age. If the kid is too young and kinda apathetic, then I'd advice the person to wait a bit longer. I'd not like a kid that is too young helping me in the kitchen, what if she or he tries to turn on the stove when I'm not looking?! I mean, they might have seen me doing that before, but might feel more confident to try it on their own since they have been helping me in the kitchen. I'd be careful with that.

Reaction score
Nowadays children are smart, curious and aware to many things they see. And especially when it comes at home they are always in the kitchen asking for food and watching their parents while preparing, cooking and baking their foods. It will be a nice experience if parents will teach them this kind of activities at the right age like when they while they are still young if they are interested. It is for their own sake so that they will learn to be dependent to cook or bake their own food if you are not around at home. And they can develop this more while growing up. After all a child should really start learning many things at home first with their parents as their first teacher.

Reaction score
I think as soon as kids have an interest you can start in small ways- 2 to 3 year olds will more be helping with very simple, repetitive tasks (throwing things out, maybe just the slightest bit of mixing, etc.) while the 5 and up group can start doing more hands on things. Of course one has to make sure things are age appropriate and safe, but keeping that in mind I think starting them as early as possible is the way to go.

Ask a Question