How long do you cool before frosting?

Reaction score
How long do you let your cakes cool off before you start frosting them? I was watching, "Cupcake Wars" the other night, and it made me wonder about the contestants who frost their cupcakes right away because they run out of time. I've ruined many batches of cupcakes, cakes, and frosted brownies by doing this! How long do you let yours cool off before you start the frosting process?

Reaction score
Before frosting any cake, you should let it cool completely. I think we all know very well what will result if we fail to do so. For cupcakes around half an hour to forty five minutes. For cakes, I would say at least an hour and a half or so. It also helps if your oven has a internal fan.;)

Reaction score
I usually wait at least an hour before frosting. If you start frosting too soon, you will have a disaster on your hands. I know. I've been there and done that. I've ruined cakes by frosting them while they were still warm.

Reaction score
I usually wait at least an hour before frosting. If you start frosting too soon, you will have a disaster on your hands. I know. I've been there and done that. I've ruined cakes by frosting them while they were still warm.
I agree, I also wait about a half hour or an hour. I think it is a good amount of time to let them completely cool before you frost them. I have definitely had my fair share of mistakes by frosting them too early. However, sometimes I like to frost them when the cake or the cupcakes are a little warm (just slightly) because I like my icing to be soft and a littly melty.

Reaction score
I usually wait around 20-30 minutes depending on how bad I want to eat it!!!! I like to make sure it's completely cool before icing/frosting it but if I'm short on time then 30 minutes is normally enough for me.

Reaction score
At least an hour just to be safe or when it's cool to the touch. I used to be one of those impatient bakers though lol

Reaction score
If I have to bake a cake or cupcakes that I need to frost, I will bake them in the mornings and frost them in the evenings so they are completely cooled before I try to frost them. I have had many cakes ruined by hurrying the process so I always wait even if it is longer than it needs to be.

Reaction score
I'm going to be baking a carrot cake tomorrow. The recipe is from Ben Starr (best known from Masterchef) and he says that he lets his cake cool in the freezer 45 minutes before icing. He says that they hold up better when they're completely cool. I have never waited that long because, by the time I've gotten to the icing state, I'm tired and I just want to be done. I will be patient tomorrow since this cake takes a lot of effort and I don't want to wreck it because I iced it too soon.

Reaction score
We don't usually time it in this house. We just know by touch when it's cool enough. Though, I agree when they say about an hour to an hour and a half. That way you'll be sure and won't ruin good frosting or a good baked good. If you're ever in a rush to a party or something you could probably chill it a bit though.

Reaction score
It's definitely better to wait a little longer rather than to do it too soon. Do you guys ever put the cake in the freezer or refrigerator to help it cool? I've wrapped cakes up really tight in foil and put them in the freezer. Since all the moisture stays within the wrap, it ends up very moist. I've heard that doing this can give your cakes a weird texture, but I haven't had that problem myself.

Ask a Question