How long do you leave your frozen dough to thaw and rise?

Reaction score
I've noticed if you wait various times, the consistency and taste changes dramatically. If you let it aerate fully the proper way it'll taste wonderful if used in a fresh-baked bread loaf. If you wait til' halftime (and I don't mean in a sports game, I mean 2-1/2 hours-3 hours) and use it, it's hard but malleable and makes a good crust lining. Of if you wait 75% of the time required, it makes a good calzone base.

How long do you personally let it sit out? Do you notice anything off about taste and consistency like I do the more you wait? I personally am in the five-to-six hour range type of guy, myself.

Reaction score
Hello there Shimus. When I make my pepperoni bread I usually take my frozen dough out in the morning, say around 8ish when I get up, then use it around 4 or 5. Seems to be just enough time, just enough the crust does not get all crusty.

If I am in a hurry sometimes I will preheat the oven to 350 and put s small pot of water on the bottom rack. when it gets all hot and steamy I turn the oven off and put the bread on the top rack. The residual heat makes the steam thaw your frozen bread a little faster. ;)

Ask a Question