How many types of flour do you always want to have on hand?

Reaction score
I desperately wanted to bake yesterday, but because I was mostly in to box cakes I never kept a lot of flour. I had on hand some whole wheat flour but wanted to do something I felt everyone would thoroughly enjoy. I was thinking about something like a simple pound cake, sponge cake or any other nice fluffy cake.

When I went to pick up some flour from the mini mart, all that was available was some all purpose flour. Somehow I am thinking that's not the best flour for what I want.. Seems like that is better suited for tougher cakes, not the lighter cake I was planning. Going forward, what do you think I should always have on hand?

Reaction score
When I lived in Canada, I had three or four kinds on hand: 1) Bread flour 2) Cake/Pastry Flour 3) Whole Wheat and sometimes 4) All purpose. Since I moved to Europe, the flours have numbers and I just don't get it. XD I think what I have now is all-purpose (405 I think) and some flour special for making Asian dumplings. Actually, two kinds of flour for dumplings -- one for baos and one for Chinese raviolis.

Should buy some whole wheat, when I figure out how to find it.

Reaction score
I keep several on hand. Both brown and white rice flours are my staples. I try to stick with brown rice because it is a whole grain, but sometimes need the white rice for lighter texture and flavor. I also have coconut flour and garbanzo bean flour. Quinoa flakes are also part of my baking ingredients, but obviously they are not a four, more of an oat substitute.

Reaction score
I keep several on hand. Both brown and white rice flours are my staples. I try to stick with brown rice because it is a whole grain, but sometimes need the white rice for lighter texture and flavor. I also have coconut flour and garbanzo bean flour. Quinoa flakes are also part of my baking ingredients, but obviously they are not a four, more of an oat substitute.

Interesting! I only ever use wheat flour. Is it because of gluten intolerance or just for different tastes? Do you need to adapt the recipes when you use different kinds?

Reaction score
In the UK, our flours are known by different names, but I don't think there's any real difference otherwise - somebody correct me if I'm wrong here!

In my larder I keep a stock of the following flours:

Plain flour (known as all purpose flour in the UK) I use this for pastry, pancakes, some cookies, and scones and fruit cakes.
Self raising flour (I think the US refers to this as cake flour) I use this for all of my sponge cakes, and you can also buy finest self raising flour here for extra light sponges.
Strong and extra strong white flour - for bread
Strong wholemeal - for bread
Canadian strong white - for bread. Canadian flour is even stronger (higher protein content) than wheat grown in the UK, and is therefore very reliable, and gives a very good result to your bread.
I also keep spelt, malt grain, rye, and buckwheat flours (some sprouted) for my bread making.
Coconut and almond flours - for making Paleo versions of things. And I'm also looking for cashew flour that member monkeyboots suggested on another thread.
Smoked flour - I haven't used this yet but it's for breadmaking.
Gram flour - made from chickpeas, used for making onion bhajis
Italian 007 flour - for making pasta, and I also use it for making scones and shortbread as it's amazingly light.

Reaction score
I just keep all purpose flour and cake flour on hand. If the need for any other flour comes up, I go out and buy it. All purpose flour seems to work for most recipes.

Reaction score
I also just keep a bag of all purpose flour around. This is the flour type that I use for 90% of everything I make and it works just fine. If I need a special flour, I just go out and get it when I need it. I do not want to have something in the pantry that is going to go bad.

Ask a Question