How much should I charge?

Reaction score
Hey y'all, I'm new here and I am a home baker trying to get out there. So I have a cake order for a friend due in October (a ways away I know) but she recently quit her job so it's just her husband working right now and she wants to know how much it will be. Here's the thing, I have NEVER sold a cake before so I have no idea what to charge. It's gonna be a 3 tier topsy turvy mash up of Candyland and Trolls vanilla cake with raspberry filling, and edible images and I'm not sure on the frosting yet. I've attached a sketch of it. Pardon the crappy picture lol. So any ideas on a reasonable price would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20200205_142532.jpg
    20200205_142532.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 153
Reaction score
Hey y'all, I'm new here and I am a home baker trying to get out there. So I have a cake order for a friend due in October (a ways away I know) but she recently quit her job so it's just her husband working right now and she wants to know how much it will be. Here's the thing, I have NEVER sold a cake before so I have no idea what to charge. It's gonna be a 3 tier topsy turvy mash up of Candyland and Trolls vanilla cake with raspberry filling, and edible images and I'm not sure on the frosting yet. I've attached a sketch of it. Pardon the crappy picture lol. So any ideas on a reasonable price would be greatly appreciated.

Google local cake suppliers , the local market is always a better guide than internet quotes from 2K miles away.
My first question is always how many people, then quote a price per person.
That also dictates the size of the cake.

Reaction score

So the first thing you need to do is make sure you legally can sell that cake.

You need to check with your county and state to find out what business license you need to operate a home based bakery business. You can’t just sell a cake out of your home kitchen. Every state has food safety laws that regulate the production and selling of food from home kitchens.

There’s also restrictions on the types of fillings and icings you can use. It’s all based on water activity level. And if you don’t know what water activity level is you better learn. because if your cake causes foodborne illness, the county health department is not going to be very happy about it.

and once you have the proper license, then then you can think about local market. That’s where you’re going to have to call around and find out what other home based bakers are charging for their cakes. You can only charge what your local market will bear.

Ask a Question