How often do you feel guilty?

Reaction score
How often do you use mixes, instead of building your cake from scratch?

I loved making cakes from scratch, when I was younger. I am ashamed to say it, but I use mixes more often, now. These days, I find that baking is part of a multitasking frenzy right before special dinners or parties where most people cannot tell that a cake comes from a box.

I always add a little something of my own to each mix, though, to ward off the guilt from knowing I can do better but just didn't plan well enough to do so. I smile and accept whatever compliments I get, but I never claim to have made the cake with my own hands when Betty Crocker actually gathered the ingredients for me.

Do you ever feel guilty when presenting a boxed cake, or do you take pride in doing what most people no longer do for themselves?

Reaction score
I would say lately that the majority of the time I use mixes to some degree- like you, I add my own stuff to it and improve on it. But I rarely do them entirely from scratch these days, either. I don't think it's something to feel a sense of guilt over- people have really busy, active lifestyles these days....making things from scratch takes time and planning that a lot of people can't put forth between all their obligations. I don't think it has to be a bad thing, though.

Reaction score
I use mixes a little more often then I would like because there's just not enough time to make everything from scratch all the time. I do also make them my own by throwing other ingredients in sometimes.

Reaction score
At home (Canada/USA), I would have no qualms about using cake mixes; especially, when I need it to turn out. Here, I risk making them from scratch because I could wreck about 3 cakes before I've spent more than what one of the imported cake mixes costs. Plus, for some reason, even though they are imported, they don't taste the same. I'd never pass a boxed cake off as one of my own, though.

Reaction score
I don't believe I should feel guilty about using a cake mix instead of making everthing from scratch. I agree with you that sometimes there's just not enough time to make something from scratch, and a boxed mix is a great starter for a dessert that you can make unique in your own way by adding things, substituting and alternating ingredients. Making something from scratch is absolutely a wonderful baking experience, but there's nothing wrong with using a mix sometimes.

Reaction score
If I had to use a mix or just felt like using one, I wouldn't feel guilty. If everyone's happy, that's all that matters, right?

Reaction score
At home (Canada/USA), I would have no qualms about using cake mixes; especially, when I need it to turn out. Here, I risk making them from scratch because I could wreck about 3 cakes before I've spent more than what one of the imported cake mixes costs. Plus, for some reason, even though they are imported, they don't taste the same. I'd never pass a boxed cake off as one of my own, though.

Some of the difference in flavor might be due to the water supply.

I noticed that coffee made in the USA often tastes "burnt", where coffee in other places does not. I believe the difference in flavor rests in the presence of fluoride in US water supplies.

Mixes needing milk might also taste different because the animals providing the milk have a different diet than those raised in the USA.

Reaction score
Some of the difference in flavor might be due to the water supply.

I noticed that coffee made in the USA often tastes "burnt", where coffee in other places does not. I believe the difference in flavor rests in the presence of fluoride in US water supplies.

Mixes needing milk might also taste different because the animals providing the milk have a different diet than those raised in the USA.

Good point! I only moved within my own province and still, everything is so different where water is involved. It actually ruins everything it touches unless we filter it. Huge difference.

Reaction score
How often do you use mixes, instead of building your cake from scratch?

I loved making cakes from scratch, when I was younger. I am ashamed to say it, but I use mixes more often, now. These days, I find that baking is part of a multitasking frenzy right before special dinners or parties where most people cannot tell that a cake comes from a box.

I always add a little something of my own to each mix, though, to ward off the guilt from knowing I can do better but just didn't plan well enough to do so. I smile and accept whatever compliments I get, but I never claim to have made the cake with my own hands when Betty Crocker actually gathered the ingredients for me.

Do you ever feel guilty when presenting a boxed cake, or do you take pride in doing what most people no longer do for themselves?

Tut Tut you naughty thing you, lol. There have been a few times when I just can't be bothered to put in the effort. It would be a waste of my time if I wasn't baking with that special 15% that gets added with the love you put into it. I'm a firm believer that it makes things taste better if the positive thoughts are going into what you're doing.

Reaction score
I use mixes sometimes and I don't feel guilty because I'm not doing anything evil or unethical by using convenience products when I'm tired or pressed for time.

Reaction score
I use mixes when I am running short on time and really don't feel guilty about it. I equate it to using the microwave to heat up something quickly. If I have time and energy, then I make my cakes from scratch.

Reaction score
Guilty? Guilty is not what I felt when I decided to join the forum. I must confess I had some apprehension as I felt most if not all of the persons here might be baking from scratch. When I found out many were using mixes and incorporating their own ideas I honestly felt more at ease and got lots of encouragement. That said, I never felt guilty. Like someone said, no crime was being committed. Since my very few attempts at "from scratch baking" did not turn out well back in the day I figure the crime would have been to continue feeding people my disasters:).

Reaction score
I'm guilty a lot these days any more. When I have more money I tend to be frugal with it, and make from scratch. Sure you pay convenience fees for the individual ingredients but it turns out very well worth the time. Lately I've been using complete meals and boxes to make my money stretch. And talking about all this good food... makes me so hungry.

Ask a Question