How often do you use the real timing on a recipe?

Reaction score
I have given up on timing on recipes. They always seem to be 'wrong' or not suitable for me. Maybe it's my oven, but the suggested timings are just never right.

I guess it feels like my own batch if I tailor it a little anyway ;)

Reaction score
I seldom use times to a tee, only as a starting point. I tend to keep my place super cold at all times (I even run my air conditioner at times during the winter months, lol), so things sometimes take longer to cook. I especially need to use more time to make bread dough rise.

I usually use a combination of smells, firmness, and obviously visual appearance to determine when something is done. If I start smelling that "toasty" smell stuff gets just before it's about to go burnt, I will check on it immediately. Feeling the baked item as well as the toothpick test is usually more reliable for me than relying on recipe times.

Reaction score
I've used real timing on a few recipes, but they came out over done so I never used it again. I agree, the times that are given are never right for me either. My pizzas don't take 15 minutes to bake they take around 20 - 25. I tried it for 15 minutes once and the crust didn't cook so now I start the temperature low and then I put it on high after a few minutes. I also like my pizza's cheese a little golden brown. :)

Reaction score
I use general guidelines and I will admit, I peek when I know I shouldn't but have never had a catasrophy. Never did a souffle so maybe I should keep it that way!

Reaction score
I'm ok with timings usually but sometimes l will leave my cakes in longer if I see there not ready enough.

Reaction score
I rarely use the real baking time. There are some many factors that can effect how longs something need to bake. Humidity , altitude , gas or electric , all of these thing can alter you baking time. I go by smell and appearance for baking time.

Reaction score
When I was younger, I always set the timer on the stove whenever I baked something. I didn't have the confidence in myself to keep track of the time. Now I just pop stuff in the oven and check it periodically to see if it's done.

Reaction score
like a few of you, I use the recipe as a guideline. My oven is old, tempermental, and oh so finicky so I usually lower the temp by a few deg. and check it a few min. early than what the recipe says. Then take it from there.

Reaction score
I just use the time as a guideline, too. My oven likes to burn things, when I use the real time. Then, I usually make a timing note on the recipe card. The weather can also make a big difference on how something is timed.

Reaction score
I always start with the time it states on a new recipe that I am trying, and then check it. More often than not it takes longer than it says.. I have customized my regular recipes to the time it takes my oven to cook them to my liking. I have noticed though that they are never the correct times.

Reaction score
I make a mental note of the timing listed in a recipe, but my baked goods are usually done sooner than that, so I still check on them. I wouldn't let something get burnt or overcooked just to stay true to the time on the recipe.

Reaction score
I rarely use the real time listed in a recipe. This number is effected by two factors - elevation and your stove. So, I bake an item considering everything that might affect the cooking time of that food.

th
(Best Food Timer)

Ask a Question