How to achieve smooth american buttercream

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I tend to avoid American buttercream because I can always feel the grit from the sugar but sometimes I don't have time to go through the whole process of swiss meringue buttercream.
So I guess my question is how do I get a smooth American buttercream where you don't taste the grit from the icing sugar.
TIA

Reaction score
Not really possible. It's the nature of the beast. What recipe are you using for American buttercream?

Another option is to use confectioner's (powdered) sugar and a fat such as butter or vegetable shortening.

I recommend Italian meringue buttercream, it's the genuine article.

Reaction score
I make American buttercream whenever I make a cake (which isn't all that often), and I never have a problem with graininess. I use confectioner's sugar, and that's probably the difference.

Reaction score
Adding in a little milk or cream sometimes helps by dissolving just a little more of the sugar. Especially if you’re working with butter with a low water content. A tip I came across a long time ago is to add a small amount of white balsamic vinegar to frosting; it can give it that cream cheese tangy note without the dairy. Or try adding a little bit of caramel sauce.

Reaction score
In paris some pastry shops whip powdered sugar and whole eggs to a stiff texture, then add butter, it stands up well to the summer heat, theres still a slight grit from the corn starch but its leagues better than american buttercream.

6 eggs ,
1 lb of xxxxx sugar.
Add 1 lb butter or butter and uns margarine.

Reaction score
I found a recipe that I am going to try called Connors Buttercream Silk. I have not tried it yet, but the method to make it is supposed to make very smooth American Buttercream. I am going to provide the link, but you have to scroll down a bit to see it. Also there is a you tube video that the author of this recipe has filmed of her making it.
Link to Recipe: Frosting Recipe
Link to video: Video of recipe process

Ask a Question