How to cool a passover sponge cake?

Reaction score
The recipe I'm following for a chocolate sponge cake (gluten free) says to let it sit on its side for 15 minutes after baking, then turn it out onto a cooling rack to finish cooling. I thought that sponge cakes were supposed to be left in the pan, then turned upside down for an hour or 2 before taking them out of the pan. Any advice? Thank you!

Reaction score
The recipe I'm following for a chocolate sponge cake (gluten free) says to let it sit on its side for 15 minutes after baking, then turn it out onto a cooling rack to finish cooling. I thought that sponge cakes were supposed to be left in the pan, then turned upside down for an hour or 2 before taking them out of the pan. Any advice? Thank you!
I worked for a kosher caterer and recall passover cakes,
I baked hundreds of them in foil containers, just follow your recipe, its ok.
I used potato starch, no flour , and honey....so its not the typical sponge.

Reaction score

There are no standards in gluten-free baking. The rules of baking do not apply in the absence of gluten.

Each gluten free recipe is unique as bakers must create structure with a variety of binders.

There are a variety of gluten free flours and binders that may be used in a recipe. You must follow the recipe developers instructions on mixing and cooling since the recipe developer tested the ingredients and methods used for the recipe.

Just a matter of clarification…

Chiffon and angel food cake, not sponge cake is cooled upside down.

Chiffon and angel food cakes contain high egg whites to flour ratio; contain very low protein flour; high sugar to flour ratio. These produce a cake with a very weak structure. Cakes are cooled upside down to allow the structure to set without collapsing.

What is often referred to as a sponge cake is actually a creamed batter cake (aka butter cake). The cake is leavened in part by creaming the butter and sugar.

A sponge cake is a type of foam cake (whipped eggs). Genoise and biscuits (pronounced biskui not like the American breakfast biscuit) are examples of sponge cakes.

All of these cakes have their set of rules for mixing, baking, and cooling.

Ask a Question