How to get non-yeast bread to rise

Reaction score
I have been looking at a lot of non-yeast bread recipes. But for some reason they still do not rise the same way a yeast bread would. Does anyone have any good bread recipe's that do not call for yeast? Or tips?

Reaction score
Thank you! I had never seen that site before but the recipe looks really good! I think the buttermilk might make any no yeast bread recipe have more 'stickiness' or elasticity. I have never thought of that before since my traditional bread recipe does not use milk. In the past I have had trouble with the baking soda breads not masking enough of the taste of the soda, but at only 10grams, I doubt it will even be noticeable.

Reaction score
Have fun making it, and post a few pictures as well for reference. The Bakers Bros made this exact bread in one of their episodes and paired it with some butter churned via electric beater. Ah, the simple pleasures in life.

Reaction score
Looking into that recipe listed, I find myself wanting to try that. My husband is on a diet and a no yeast bread would go well. Thanks for sharing!

Reaction score
Here is what I ended up making after reading all the comments. I altered a recipe from the link above. I mixed 300 grams rice flour, 5g salt, 10g baking powder, and 230 ml milk. (for a converter see this site: http://www.convertunits.com/from/teaspoons/to/grams) I set the over to 230c and then blended my ingredients. When I added the milk I hand mixed and kneaded it for 2 minutes. I used a round baking pan and buttered it. Then I placed the ball of dough in it and cut a cross in the top. After 15 minutes of baking, I wiped it with butter to try and get it brown (rice flour doesn't brown the same as regular flour). I will upload a photo of it. The taste was good. But after cutting into it, I realized it should have stayed in for about 5 minutes longer. I didn't want to post the photo after I had cut it though because it didn't look as pretty. It will go nicely with the vegetable soup I made for dinner tonight!

Attachments

• P5130019.JPG
    P5130019.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 535

Ask a Question