How to get the egg whites?

Reaction score
I always avoid using egg whites in my recipes because I can never separate the yolk from the white properly. :( I just end up making a gooey mess of the table and most of all my hands. I'm posting this in the disaster section because it IS a disaster every time I try this. Can someone suggest the best way to go about it without layering the entire kitchen with eggs??

Reaction score
I use a gadget that came free in a package of bread, but I have also a Tupperware cup with exchangeable lids, one of them expressly aimed to get the egg whites pouring into the cup while the yolk is retained on top by simply breaking the egg over it.

Reaction score
I always crack the egg lightly against the side of a bowl, split the egg shell in half with my fingers while making sure to keep the yoke in one half of the shell. Then I slowly move the egg back and forth from each shell piece being careful not to pierce it, while allowing the egg whites to leave the shell into the bowl below. Then when it's all out, I just dump the yoke in a bowl to save for later to make egg noodles or something.

It took quite a bit of time to get the hang of it, especially since my mom taught me when I was really young... but now it's the only method I use and it works perfectly about 99% of the time.

Reaction score
I use the eggshells as well. I've also seen people use just their hands and little gadgets made specifically for the job, which might be your easiest bet. Would it go through a sieve maybe?

Reaction score
It should go through something like a spider, but if you don't want to mess with the eggs at all, I've seen stores sell cartons of egg whites, often next to the cartons of egg substitutes. I last saw those cartons at Trader Joe's.

Reaction score
the good ol' eggshell trick works for me too. For breakfast, when I make 4 eggs for hubby and myself, I take out half the yolks to reduce cholesterol, and then whip up the remainder.

Reaction score
I have always avoided using egg whites too, but my husband taught me a trick from culinary school. Crack the egg in your hand. Your hand will catch the yolk and the white will go through your fingers. Kind of gross, but it works every time.

Reaction score
The method that I learned came from a trusted source called youtube. You take a regular empty water bottle. You crack the egg and then squeeze the bottle. Then you place the opening over the yolk and release.

Reaction score
The method that I learned came from a trusted source called youtube. You take a regular empty water bottle. You crack the egg and then squeeze the bottle. Then you place the opening over the yolk and release.

I was just about to post that! lol. I saw a video of someone doing that yesterday on there,and have to admit, that was rather clever. Though I would worry a little about the pressure causing the yolk to break if you weren't careful. The cook that I saw doing that whipped the egg whites, then reassembled them in a tin mold along with the yolk and made some rather unusual fluffy take on a fried egg.

If you are having too much trouble with the egg shell method, and don't want egg all over your hands, I would just go with one of those plastic spoons meant specifically for trapping egg yolks. They work like a charm and you can find them at just about any kitchen gadget store.

Reaction score
I always crack the egg lightly against the side of a bowl, split the egg shell in half with my fingers while making sure to keep the yoke in one half of the shell. Then I slowly move the egg back and forth from each shell piece being careful not to pierce it, while allowing the egg whites to leave the shell into the bowl below. Then when it's all out, I just dump the yoke in a bowl to save for later to make egg noodles or something.

It took quite a bit of time to get the hang of it, especially since my mom taught me when I was really young... but now it's the only method I use and it works perfectly about 99% of the time.

This is the method I presently try to use which leaves eggs all over the place! This was the method my grandmom taught me once, and I used to see her do it so perfectly I never thought it'd be so hard! I guess it'll take time. I never manage to keep the yolk intact. and when I do, some white still remains in the shell....or the shell cracks. :(

Reaction score

Ok, I'm not sure I understand this method very well. But now that you mention, I should have checked Youtube earlier for reference. They have tutorials for every possible wacky things! It's interesting to know that a bottle is being used..though whether I can work it or not, is another matter altogether!

Reaction score
I use the eggshells as well. I've also seen people use just their hands and little gadgets made specifically for the job, which might be your easiest bet. Would it go through a sieve maybe?

I think I'm gonna give this one a try. Seeing as I mess up my hands anyway, I might as well go all out with it! I've never used a sieve before, I doubt the whites will pass through the fine mesh of the one I have at home. Maybe I'll look for a bigger perforated one. I'll try and get hold of the gadgets that many of the people have spoken here about.

Reaction score
If you have difficulty separating eggs, you should purchase an egg separator. They normally make this process easy. One you might want to check out is called Pluck.

As for me, I just crack my egg in half and then toss the yolk back and forth until all of the egg white is in the container below and the yolk (only) is in the shell.

PLUCK-0001.jpg
Pluck

Reaction score
I also just lightly crack the egg and split it in half and our the egg out into each half of the shells until all I have left is the yolk. This took me some time to get and still get some yolk in my recipe.

Reaction score
I have a little handheld separator that has a circle in the middle (to pour the egg into and hold the yolk) and two slits on the side. The whites slide through the slits and the yolk stays in the circle. The dogs wait patiently for me to do this as they know they'll be getting the yolk.

I've done the passing to each shell before when at my sisters who didn't have a separator and you just need to be patient and do it slowly.

However if you often use egg whites why not buy egg whites in cartons? I'm sure you get more bang for your buck that way. I miss having that option as they are not sold that way where I currently live.

Reaction score

This is how I do it and I've never had an issue with it. Just make sure you crack the egg so each piece is big enough to hold the yolk. Also, if you need to separate multiple eggs make sure you do each egg over a small bowl first and then pour each white into a bigger bowl. That way if you slip and pierce the yolk only the white you're working on is messed up. And if you slip up you don't have to throw the egg out. Just scramble it with a fork and put it in a covered container in the fridge and use it for scrambled eggs the next morning. I don't remember exactly how long it will last in the fridge that way, but it's at least a couple days.

Reaction score
I've never had to do it in a recipe but I've seen people do it with the egg shells. Though, for you I'd recommend a tool to just avoid frustration.

Reaction score
I use the egg shell trick now but when I was younger I always made a mess of it too. I tried everything to get them to separate and usually just gave up and used both white and yolk. Needless to say at that time I never could make an actual white cake. Another trick I learned to do, which was pretty easy, was to crack the egg in a shallow bowl and then I used a fork to carefully scoop out the yolk. It worked most of the time so it made me happy. Hope that it will work well for you too.

Reaction score
I have seen this before, but I haven't tried it. I recently messed up a few of my yolks when I was making meringue for my macaroons. I had to start all over! Maybe I will try this next time.

Reaction score
I do the cracking egg method,but have seen the bottle one on film. All things take practice-try and try again,lol.
;)

Ask a Question