How to keep sugar cookies in the shape of the cutter ?!?!

Reaction score
So in a few weeks I'm making some sugar cookie favours for someone's wedding party. I've made sugar cookies in the past and whilst they keep their general shape, they aren't are clean cut or sharp as I would like. For example, if I cut a circle, one side might spread a little so it looks a bit more ovally or when i do a heart, you can tell it's a heart, but it's just not sharp.

For the favours I'm doing plaque shaped cookies such as the ones here ( https://cookieconnection.juliausher...imageType/LARGE/inlineImage/true/IMG_8217.jpg ) which obviously have pointed sides so I want it to look sharp. I'm also putting fondant on top so it'll look off if the cookie spreads slightly as the fondant will no longer be the exact same size.

I've made various adjustments to my recipe and method ( omitted baking powder, omitted eggs, refrigerate for 30 mins after cutting shapes before popping in the oven. ) And whilst I've noticed an improvement with each adjustment, it's still not as clean cut as the picture that is linked above.

What am I doing wrong ?? Would it possibly be worth putting the cookie in at the higher temp for a shorter time to not give them as much time to spread ? I'm desperate !!! Help !!!

Reaction score
Most likely you are creaming your butter at the wrong temperature. I know recipes always say room temperature better. But that is just so wrong. Butter should be creamed it’s 65°F. This is what is taught in culinary school and I don’t know why every cookbook and every recipe states otherwise. And it is in textbooks. If you don’t want to take my word for it, google Serious Eats creaming butter and sugar. Stella Parks wrote a article on it.

Reaction score
Most likely you are creaming your butter at the wrong temperature. I know recipes always say room temperature better. But that is just so wrong. Butter should be creamed it’s 65°F. This is what is taught in culinary school and I don’t know why every cookbook and every recipe states otherwise. And it is in textbooks. If you don’t want to take my word for it, google Serious Eats creaming butter and sugar. Stella Parks wrote a article on it.
I'm making another batch this evening so I'll give it a go with butter at that temperature then, thank you very much !

Ask a Question