How to make a moist cake without eggs but must add milk?

Reaction score
Hi All, I have spent the past 9 years perfecting all of my baking to accommodate my son’s severe food allergies.
He recently passed a baked milk challenge and I am to bake cakes with at least 1 cup of milk in it. Unfortunately I cannot use eggs because he is allergic to them. I have spent the past week trying to make a moist cake that has milk and no eggs in it. I have had no success. They are dense and aren’t cooking all the way through.
Help please!

Reaction score
What have you baked in the past 9 years that has been to your and his liking?

Moisture sources:

water
milk, cream or sour cream
vegetable oil
butter

Reaction score
Chocolate cake, vanilla cake, banana bread, chocolate chip cookies. Just the classic desserts that kids enjoy. We have to follow a protocol in which the recipe has at least a 1:1 ratio of flour to milk and no eggs. It so far has not yield anything fluffy and moist. It all comes out overcooked and dense or undercooked which is not good for someone who cannot have undercooked milk right now.
I hope this answers your question and that I make sense. Thank you for taking the time to help.

Reaction score
Fluffy suggests leavening.

Do you know the genoise method of making cakes? It uses a lot of incorporated air into the batter, achieved by whipping.

Explore leavening techniques and agents.

Fluffy means a structure containing air. This is one of the principle functions of egg in the product.

Reaction score
Fluffy suggests leavening.

Do you know the genoise method of making cakes? It uses a lot of incorporated air into the batter, achieved by whipping.

Explore leavening techniques and agents.

Fluffy means a structure containing air. This is one of the principle functions of egg in the product.

Genoise is leavened only with egg and contains no milk. It is the epitome of the egg leavened cakes.
  • Egg 150% - 200%
  • Sugar 100% - 115%
  • Flour/starch 100%
  • Fat 20% - 40% clarified butter

Reaction score
Hi All, I have spent the past 9 years perfecting all of my baking to accommodate my son’s severe food allergies.
He recently passed a baked milk challenge and I am to bake cakes with at least 1 cup of milk in it. Unfortunately I cannot use eggs because he is allergic to them. I have spent the past week trying to make a moist cake that has milk and no eggs in it. I have had no success. They are dense and aren’t cooking all the way through.
Help please!

Given the limitations on ingredients, You would probably do best finding a vegan cake recipe. Just because he can consume milk doesn’t necessarily mean milk is the ideal ingredient for use in a cake application when you don’t have the option of using other ingredients.

I understand the frustration. I cannot eat gluten (celiac). And I am a baker. So that was a really difficult adjustment for me. there are some things I simply will not make in a gluten-free alternative because they just do not taste good. It’s just not worth it.

Ima

Reaction score
I don't have a recipe for your exact requirements unfortunately. I have come across excellent eggless cake bakers (who never seem to share the true secrets to their success with me, but more likely I am a poor technician!), and the few times I dabbled in it, like yours, my eggless cake turned out dense/dry.

I do like a dense fruit cake though, and have come across this recipe (though never made it). Experiment at your own risk and let us know :)

Fruit cake: Melt 375g butter (so this must count toward milk allowance?), 397g condensed milk (this would count toward milk allowance too?), 400ml water and allow to cool. Mix with 750ml flour, 1.5tsp baking powder, 1.5ml bicarbonate of soda, 100g nuts (perhaps omit if your child is allergic?), 2 cups fruit cake mix or raisins, 125g chopped cherries. Bake in 8 inch round cake tin, 325 fahrenheit, 1.5 hours.

Reaction score

Ask a Question