How to make American buttercream that's smooth enough (but still stiff) for piping flowers?

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I posted a similar question on Reddit and a lot of people said the flowers in the picture look like traditional American buttercream.

20211124_184631.jpg

My buttercream causes the edges of the petals to look jagged. If I add more liquid, sure the petals look much better but they're not stable enough. Cooked/ meringue based buttercreams don't have much body to hold up bigger flowers. I like American buttercream because it's stiff and has a familiar taste.

Is there a specific method or ingredient to add to American buttercream that can help with the smooth texture? I own a cupcake business and I'm trying to expand my skill. Please help! All advice welcome!!

Reaction score
Looks like vegetable shortening and powdered sugar icing to my eye. Try varying the sugar:shortening proportions, and using milk for a thinner consistency if needed/desired. Icing temperature when piped is also a contributing factor.

Reaction score
I'm not expert in baking, but what I see in that image looks positively beautiful to me. Jagged edges? Forgedaboutit. How many of your customers would complain about those jagged edges?

On a side note, the decorations must have taken so much time that it would be hard to price them adequately.

Ask a Question