How to make an Airy, Eggy Cake

Reaction score
I know this is probably the opposite of what most of us want in a cake, something airy and eggy. But I have visions of making a cake that is churro-like - almost gooey and light in the center with a good crust and cinnamon sugar dousing the outside. Any ideas on how to get there? The best I may be able to do is use a sponge cake, but I wanted to check here for any ideas. Thanks!

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

Just so I understand, you want to make a cake that tastes more like a doughnut? You could always try adding extra yolks if you want more of a richer, 'eggy' flavour. I'm not sure whether a doughnut recipe would scale up well (it might end up being too dense rather than light).

A madeira cake recipe might be a good start - but leave out the citrus. They tend to have a higher egg content, and it would work well with cinnamon sugar.

Reaction score
Usually I find that when I want that airy sort of texture to a cake that if I really whip the eggs well, and add them to the rest of the batter separately that it makes an impact. I don't know about an eggy flavor though - I'm not the biggest fan of eggy tasting things so I don't care for my cakes tasting that way! But as for the texture, whipping the eggs really well seems to make a difference for me.

Ask a Question