How to make bread soft?

Reaction score
I am a bread enthusiast from India. Now, I am facing a peculiar problem regarding making bread soft. As I use Indian flour for making the bread. I use OTG or Air Fryer for making the bread. But every time I failed as I could not understand what makes me unsuccessful in making soft bread. I took the tutorials guides from YouTube but not getting a success. Please check the attached picture of my bread and help me to solve my problem.

Attachments

• bread.jpg
    bread.jpg
    446.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Eaten Bread.jpg
    Eaten Bread.jpg
    536.3 KB · Views: 53
  • fresh bread.jpg
    fresh bread.jpg
    519.8 KB · Views: 52
  • sliced bread5.jpg
    sliced bread5.jpg
    418 KB · Views: 55
Reaction score
If you give us the recipe you are using, we might see what is causing you’re problems.
Sorry for giving reply to you lately, please check the recipe attached with this message and solve my problem as well.

Attachments

• breadrecipe.jpg
    breadrecipe.jpg
    624.4 KB · Views: 59
Reaction score
Could you tell me the latest problem after taking your advice?View attachment 4234
you're doing something wrong, it looks like it didn't proof at all.

watch this, compare the method to what you did, my guess is you started it with cold milk.
seeing as you are making such a small batch it will be necessary to keep it warm or it will go cold and become dormant.
watch how the dough doubles in volume within 1 hr.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Vital wheat gluten. 1 tablespoon per cup of flour. But this looks like a very tiny bread... 150 gr. is just over 1 cup of flour. Do you want to make a full sized loaf? I can provide a recipe if you do.
If you share your recipe, then I could learn from it. It could be helpful for me as well.

Reaction score
If you share your recipe, then I could learn from it. It could be helpful for me as well.
Here is a basic recipe.

French Countryside Bread, 2 lb. loaf

1 3/8 cup water, warmed to 110F
1 1/2 tablespoon (tbl) vegetable or olive oil
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
4 cups bread flour (can use a combo of half all-purpose and half bread flour)
1 tbl sugar
3 tbl. vital wheat gluten
2 tsp. instant yeast

Turn oven to lowest setting, set timer for 3 min., then turn off. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
Lightly oil a large baking sheet.

Measure yeast into the bottom of a liquid measuring cup, pour in the warm water.
In a large mixing bowl, combine three (3) cups of the flour and salt. Stir or whisk to mix. Pour the yeast water into the flour and stir with wooden spoon until the ingredients are combined. The dough should look a bit shaggy. Add the final cup of flour and stir/mix until the dough becomes less sticky and more smooth.

Sprinkle work surface with flour, transfer dough to work surface. Knead and push and fold the dough until it is smooth and no longer sticks to fingers when pressed. Add additional flour if needed. If dough seems dry, sprinkle with water, a little at a time.

Divide dough in half. Roll one half into a rectangle about 8 x 10 inches. Tightly roll into a long log and pinch the seam closed. Place the log, seam side down, on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with 2nd half of the dough.

Cover loaves loosely with a tea towel and place baking sheet in the warmed oven. Set timer for 10 minutes.
At 10 min., carefully remove from the oven, being careful not to shake or jostle the pan, or set it down too hard. Place pan on top of the oven to continue rising while you preheat the oven to 425F.

When 425F is reached, remove the towel and gently place in the oven. Bake for 20-25 min. until loaves are brown and crusty.
A thermometer inserted into the bread should read 180 degrees.

*Note: it's important not to let it rise too long so they don't fall during baking. Best served after 10-15 min. cooling time, but sometimes you can't wait. Understandable.

That's it. Best of luck. Let us know if you try it and if it worked for you.

P.S. I usually make my dough in a bread machine, take it out to rise and bake. I have a ton of bread machine recipes also.

Reaction score
Here is a basic recipe.

French Countryside Bread, 2 lb. loaf

1 3/8 cup water, warmed to 110F
1 1/2 tablespoon (tbl) vegetable or olive oil
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
4 cups bread flour (can use a combo of half all-purpose and half bread flour)
1 tbl sugar
3 tbl. vital wheat gluten
2 tsp. instant yeast

Turn oven to lowest setting, set timer for 3 min., then turn off. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
Lightly oil a large baking sheet.

Measure yeast into the bottom of a liquid measuring cup, pour in the warm water.
In a large mixing bowl, combine three (3) cups of the flour and salt. Stir or whisk to mix. Pour the yeast water into the flour and stir with wooden spoon until the ingredients are combined. The dough should look a bit shaggy. Add the final cup of flour and stir/mix until the dough becomes less sticky and more smooth.

Sprinkle work surface with flour, transfer dough to work surface. Knead and push and fold the dough until it is smooth and no longer sticks to fingers when pressed. Add additional flour if needed. If dough seems dry, sprinkle with water, a little at a time.

Divide dough in half. Roll one half into a rectangle about 8 x 10 inches. Tightly roll into a long log and pinch the seam closed. Place the log, seam side down, on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with 2nd half of the dough.

Cover loaves loosely with a tea towel and place baking sheet in the warmed oven. Set timer for 10 minutes.
At 10 min., carefully remove from the oven, being careful not to shake or jostle the pan, or set it down too hard. Place pan on top of the oven to continue rising while you preheat the oven to 425F.

When 425F is reached, remove the towel and gently place in the oven. Bake for 20-25 min. until loaves are brown and crusty.
A thermometer inserted into the bread should read 180 degrees.

*Note: it's important not to let it rise too long so they don't fall during baking. Best served after 10-15 min. cooling time, but sometimes you can't wait. Understandable.

That's it. Best of luck. Let us know if you try it and if it worked for you.

P.S. I usually make my dough in a bread machine, take it out to rise and bake. I have a ton of bread machine recipes also.
Thank you for sharing your recipe! I will try it.

As I bought a bread maker recently and like to learn some recipes on the bread maker. If you share some recipes with me, then it will be very much helpful for me as well.

Reaction score
A new bread comes from a new bread recipe and it is made with a bread machine. Just check it.

Attachments

• freash bread small.jpg
    freash bread small.jpg
    740.3 KB · Views: 36
  • freash bread1small.jpg
    freash bread1small.jpg
    537.6 KB · Views: 35
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing your recipe! I will try it.

As I bought a bread maker recently and like to learn some recipes on the bread maker. If you share some recipes with me, then it will be very much helpful for me as well.
This is one of my go-to recipes for the bread machine.

Honey Grain Bread
Size: 2 lb.
Setting: Basic
Crust: Medium

1 3/8 cup water
2.5 tbl. unsalted butter
3 tbl. honey
1 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
280 gr. bread flour
150 gr. whole wheat flour (I use sprouted, organic)
2/3 cup quick cook oats (dry)
2 1/4 tsp. instant yeast

Warm the water in microwave to 115 F. Add the butter, honey & salt. Whisk to combine until butter is melted. Pour into machine bread pan.

Whisk together the flours and oats; you can also whisk in some ground flax seeds, sunflower seeds, ground nuts, etc., about 1/4 cup.
Dump flour mixture on top of the liquid in bread machine. Make a small hole in the center of the flour with your finger, pour in the yeast.

Use settings above for loaf size, type of bread and crust doneness. While machine is mixing and kneading, use a rubber spatula to carefully scrape down the sides of the bread pan.

Touch dough with your finger. If it feels too dry, sprinkle a little water as it mixes. If too sticky, sprinkle a little flour or ground flax until dough is neither too dry nor too sticky, and rolls around the bread pan with ease. Close lid and let the cycle complete.

If you try this recipe, I'd love to hear how it worked out for you.

Ask a Question