How to Make Coconut Macaroons That Melt in Your Mouth

Reaction score
Hello. First post here! I've been trying to make coconut macaroons that do not leave you chewing on the shredded coconut. I use a gluten free recipe, with sweetened condensed milk, egg white, honey, vanilla, salt, and shredded coconut. I've had coconut macaroons in the past that were divine and melted in your mouth. I've tried toasting the coconut before adding it to the recipe, I've tried baking them longer, I've tried adding more wet to the ingredients . . . I've tried many things, but in the end I have the same problem of popping the macaroon in my mouth, enjoying the chocolate drizzle and other flavor, but then chewing on shredded coconut and wanting to spit it out. Is chewy (not the good kind of chewy) coconut unnavoidable? Not sure how much of a difference this makes, but I use a large convection oven (set to low when I make the macs).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeh, been there...you need to buy unsweetened desiccated macaroon coconut, its made specifically for this, it will not leave you with a mouthful of fiberglass texture coconut . Its short shred, not the long dental floss style of the sweet style.
This is the commercial macaroon coconut packaged in smaller quantities.

I would avoid the condensed milk recipes, too expensive and gummy..
Try this, you can see the uns coconut is desiccated short shred.

Reaction score
Thanks for that vid. I'll try that out! Looks a heck of a lot easier than how i make them.

Ask a Question