How to Make Delicious Fondant Sugar Cookies at Home

Reaction score
Hi all.

Long story short, my partner LOVES these fondant sugar cookies that seem to have popped up everywhere these days from Instagram bakers to local coffee shops to Etsy. I’m not a bad baker but by no means professional, however I’m spending quite a lot buying him these boxes of cookies and I thought, well why don’t I try to make them myself?

I want to be able to make him some myself for his 1st Fathers Day as a gift from our daughter and have spent the last few weeks trying to nail down the recipe. The thing is, wherever I’ve got them from before, whether that’s different Instagram bakers or Etsy, everyone’s seem to taste near enough the same so I don’t know what it is that I’m missing but I can’t get the fondant right! I think I’ve nailed the actual cookie by following a Jane’s Patisserie recipe but I’ve tried Dr Oetker & Renshaw fondant and both to me, taste of nothing on their own. I’ve experimented with vanilla (differing amounts), almond extract and the two combined but I cannot nail the taste for the fondant.

I have no desire to be able to make these to sell on or anything like that, I’d just like to be able to make them for him! Does anyone know what fondant seems to be most popular or how to make fondant taste better?

I’d really appreciate some help

Reaction score
The commercial brandfondants that taste decent are going to be very expensive.

Make your own fondant. Try one of these two recipes. Once you get comfortable making your own then you can try a recipe for a marshmallow fondant. Marshmallow fondant is unreliable. So start with one of these.

Toba Garrett is a legend in cake decorating. Her fondant recipe is very reliable.
https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/2127/toba-garretts-fondant

Another popular fondant recipe

https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7432/michele-fosters-updated-fondant

Reaction score
Hi all.

Long story short, my partner LOVES these fondant sugar cookies that seem to have popped up everywhere these days from Instagram bakers to local coffee shops to Etsy. I’m not a bad baker but by no means professional, however I’m spending quite a lot buying him these boxes of cookies and I thought, well why don’t I try to make them myself?

I want to be able to make him some myself for his 1st Fathers Day as a gift from our daughter and have spent the last few weeks trying to nail down the recipe. The thing is, wherever I’ve got them from before, whether that’s different Instagram bakers or Etsy, everyone’s seem to taste near enough the same so I don’t know what it is that I’m missing but I can’t get the fondant right! I think I’ve nailed the actual cookie by following a Jane’s Patisserie recipe but I’ve tried Dr Oetker & Renshaw fondant and both to me, taste of nothing on their own. I’ve experimented with vanilla (differing amounts), almond extract and the two combined but I cannot nail the taste for the fondant.

I have no desire to be able to make these to sell on or anything like that, I’d just like to be able to make them for him! Does anyone know what fondant seems to be most popular or how to make fondant taste better?

I’d really appreciate some help
You'll need to buy some molds in the designs you want. Press the fondant into the molds than remove it carefully. I attach to cookies with a very thin layer of jelly, but there are products you can buy to attach it to the cookies.

Fondant is not great tasting no matter what you do. When I did cakes, I always dreaded when someone wanted that instead of buttercream. I feel the same about doing cookies. Try some different flavorings... there are so many to choose from like Irish cream or maple walnut, just to name a couple.

Ask a Question