How To Make Greek Pita Bread

Reaction score
I love pita bread, but I've never made my own. If you're interested in learning how, here's a recipe and short video that shows the process. http://greekfood.about.com/video/How-to-Make-Greek-Pita-Bread.htm

Here are the ingredients you'll need:

• 2 teaspoons of salt
  • 1 tablespoon of sugar
  • 1 tablespoon of active dry yeast
  • 1 tablespoon of olive oil
  • 1/2 cup of warm water
  • 1 cup of warm water
  • 4 cups of bread flour

Attachments

• pita bread.jpg
    pita bread.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 384
Reaction score
I've never made my own either, but I have all of those ingredients on hand except bread flour. Might be something for me to try as a weekend project coming up! I have a great recipe for Greek Chicken Gyros that is a slow cooker recipe, and making my own pita would be even more special.

Reaction score
I prefer to make my own, the one from the store seems to be kinda hard... not the right consistency at all. Thanks a lot for the recipe, this recipe looks a lot like mine :) Mine only uses two ingredients only though: self-rising flour and Greek yogurt. I'll post the recipe I use later :)

Reaction score
I prefer to make my own, the one from the store seems to be kinda hard... not the right consistency at all. Thanks a lot for the recipe, this recipe looks a lot like mine :) Mine only uses two ingredients only though: self-rising flour and Greek yogurt. I'll post the recipe I use later :)

Oooooh please do post the recipe, Trellum! Would love to give it a try if it has only two ingredients!

Reaction score
Love that these ingredients are mostly on hand. Except for the important one: bread flour. LOL Ran out two days ago and still havent gone to the store to get it. Thanks for sharing. Looks like something to try.

Reaction score
Love that these ingredients are mostly on hand. Except for the important one: bread flour. LOL Ran out two days ago and still havent gone to the store to get it. Thanks for sharing. Looks like something to try.

There are ways you can convert/substitute all purpose flour for bread flour. "If all you have is AP flour, you can approximate cake and pastry flour by adding 2 tablespoons of corn starch to a scant cup of AP flour. Likewise, you can bump up a flour's protein content (and it's gluten potential) by adding a few tablespoons of vital wheat gluten." I actually have some vital wheat gluten on hand, because I needed it for a loaf I baked a while back. If you bake a lot of bread and like to use bread flour, it might be worth it to keep some vital wheat gluten on hand. Here's the source for that quote: http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-cake-flou-74565

Reaction score
I thought I had weighed in on this earlier. I am always telling my husband to pick up some whole wheat pita. I am starting to think that I can make just about anything myself if I put my mind to it and I guess I'll cut down that supermarket bill. The substitution tip was good Diane. I am also eager to see this recipe from Trellum. These two and three ingredients always get me going.

Ask a Question