How to overcome a cake jinx

Reaction score
I'm not kidding. I swear I'm jinxed when it comes to cakes. I can bake everything else just fine but every time I try to make a cake something goes wrong. The last one I tried came out of the oven great - nice and even, browned nicely, smelled heavenly. I thought I had finally got past the jinx. Then it broke in half when removing it from the pan.

Sigh.

Reaction score
Maybe you are self-conditioning your mind to failure.

My grandmother used to say that cooking and baking should be made with a smile and leaving off the kitchen any worrisome or rude moment one could have before getting into the sacred place, as she used to consider her kitchen.

The fact is that what she said is true. I usually have not much problem with baking once that I get to know the oven I'm using (another important fact) but the other day I exchanged some arguments with a friend and that day my cake had to be turned into a pudding due to the total failure I had with a recipe that I tried over a dozen of times before such experience.

Reaction score
its ok! maybe inviting someone over who bakes cakes can help you get over the jinx. I have a jinx with yeast bread. Hoping to overcome it with inviting a friend over who knows a thing or two about yeast; then I can learn by example.

Ask a Question