How to prevent squiggly lines when writing on a cake

Reaction score
I've been practicing cake writing with my new 1.5 PME writing tip using a soft buttercream frosting. I was doing fine at the beginning, writing was coming out very nicely, then, as the buttercream got further down in the piping bag, I began to get squiggly lines. Any thoughts as to why this happened and what I could do in the future to prevent this? Thank you for your help.

Reaction score
I've been practicing cake writing with my new 1.5 PME writing tip using a soft buttercream frosting. I was doing fine at the beginning, writing was coming out very nicely, then, as the buttercream got further down in the piping bag, I began to get squiggly lines. Any thoughts as to why this happened and what I could do in the future to prevent this? Thank you for your help.

Do not run the icing on top of cake.

You need to attach a point of icing on the icing, then lift in the air above the cake, gently squeeze out the icing, then lower it down and detach.

If you run the icing along the top of the cake it will be squiggly.

Reaction score
Thank you, Norcalbaker59. I just watched the video. Very helpful. Thank you for sending that along. I know I'll have to practice quite a bit in order to get the hang of things!

Reaction score
Thank you, Norcalbaker59. I just watched the video. Very helpful. Thank you for sending that along. I know I'll have to practice quite a bit in order to get the hang of things!
It’s a practice thing. And TBH my writing ain't that great. I stick to basic lettering because it's easier.

Reaction score

cool your hands down, work quickly.
the heat from your hands is melting the buttercream.

buttercream is my least favourite medium for writing.

Ask a Question