How would you make a tangerine pie?

Discussion in 'Baker Banter' started by Soliloquy, May 24, 2013.

1. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Well-Known Member

I've had this idea in my head to try making a tangerine pie... similar to lemon meringue, I guess, but I'm not sure I'd keep the meringue part. I figured I'd juice some tangerines and use unflavored gelatin for the base. If I don't like the way meringue tastes on it, I'm not sure what else I would use. What flavors would go well with tangerine?

Soliloquy, May 24, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Soliloquy

Becky Administrator

I love chocolate and orange together, so a chocolate topping would be lovely. As tangerines have a more delicate flavour you would have to be careful about not overpowering it though, so how about piping chocolate flavoured whipped cream on top of the base? Alternatively you could make a chocolate pastry instead perhaps, and maybe dust the top with cocoa powder if you used meringue.

Becky, May 27, 2013
    JGPangi likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Soliloquy

JGPangi Well-Known Member

That is an absolutely genius recommendation. I can't even process how yummy I think the result would be.

I was actually thinking along the lines of candying the tangerine peels and incorporating them into the crust (remove as much of the pith as you can) so that you could have a more concentrated flavor with each bite. Dates also go well with citrus fruits, so you could include a few as a sweetened and cute down on the sugar.

JGPangi, May 12, 2014
    Becky likes this.
  4. Soliloquy

monkeyboots Well-Known Member

This one looks kinda yummy. I would top it with stabilized whipped cream instead of meringue.

monkeyboots, May 12, 2014
  5. Soliloquy

monkeyboots Well-Known Member

monkeyboots, May 12, 2014
  6. Soliloquy

justme4910 Well-Known Member

justme4910, Oct 28, 2015
  7. Soliloquy

ChesterV Well-Known Member

I would use a Lemon Chiffon Pie recipe and use the tangerines instead of lemons.

ChesterV, Nov 20, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question