How to Salvage Flat Cookies Without Butter

Reaction score
My husband likes to bake a batch of cookies as a treat sometimes, from a packet mix (like Betty Crocker). The mix calls for adding 1 large egg and 1 stick of butter, melted. He's averse toward butter and even oil. I substitute applesauce WITH oil or butter 50-50, but he'll add the applesauce with no butter or oil. You can imagine the result - odd tasting flat scrapes of cookie-like things, or puffy cookies with little taste. I love him, and love that he bakes, but what's the point of a cookie you can't enjoy?

If I can get him to add perhaps 1/4 c. oil (he will not do butter) to the applesauce, is there something else he can do to salvage these cookie-like things? Add baking powder or baking soda to leaven a little? A little maple syrup or honey for oomph? Adding cinnamon and nutmeg does little to hide the ick factor of these bland, messy things. Please help. My teens and I beg you!

Reaction score
Just don't eat his cookies. There is no fat substitute that is available to the retail market. Applesauce is not a fat substitute.

The bottom line is he can choose to eat whatever foods he wants. That does not mean you and your kids have to eat it.

Bake the type of cookie you and the kids want to eat. And he can bake and eat what he wants to eat. Then everyone is happy.

You can love somebody and still not share a diet. I have a medical condition that requires me to eat gluten free. No one else in my immediate family eats gluten free. Doesn't impact our relationships at all.

Just an aside, the notion that one cannot consume any fats shows a lack of understanding of basic nutrition. My son is a coach. He’s also a competitive power lifter who pulls more than 740 lbs in a deadlift and squats well over 600 lbs. He is also as ripped as the come with a six pack abs. He currently eats 4000 cal a day of which 25% - 30% of which comes from fats. The body needs protein, carbs and fat.

Ask a Question