I Can't Wait Until the Fall Arrives!

Reaction score
Now I know that this thread sounds silly but I do alot more baking in the fall and winter due to the fact that the heat in the summer just really kills my appetite and I don't feel like eating as much. For me when the cooler weather arrives I dust off my pot holders and get down to business in the kitchen. Fall is a time of comfort foods and warm hearty meals that warm a person up from the inside out and satisfys them. Nice warm soups, chilis and stews served with cornbread or homemade loaves of bread fresh from the oven. End that delicious meal with a nice warm dessert and you will be in heaven.

Fall also signifies the harvesting of certain crops such as apples and pumpkins. There are so many wonderful desserts, muffins and sweet breads that can be made with these two fruits. Now I am getting giddy just thinking about it.

What is your favorite season to bake in? What influences this favoritism?

Reaction score
I have to agree with you! I love Fall, it's my favorite...it just gives me a cozy, joyful feeling inside to even think about it! I bake some in the summer, but I don't enjoy making things nearly as much in the hot weather. You said it well when you said it's a cozy, comforting feeling. I love a pot of soup simmering on the stove and fresh bread ready to enjoy together. I don't take as much time to cook and create now as I did when my kids were all little, but I still love preparing meals for my husband and myself when our schedules allow for a sit-down meal together. And when they don't I love having homemade soups in the freezer to have a quicker meal! Fall is absolutely the best for this for me!!

Reaction score
Fall!! Definitely!!! And for the same reasons you've stated! I too LOVE to make chills and soups, etc. This year I am going to make extra big batches and freeze so I have handy meals for the times I can't cook.

Reaction score
I have to agree with you! I love Fall, it's my favorite...it just gives me a cozy, joyful feeling inside to even think about it! I bake some in the summer, but I don't enjoy making things nearly as much in the hot weather. You said it well when you said it's a cozy, comforting feeling. I love a pot of soup simmering on the stove and fresh bread ready to enjoy together. I don't take as much time to cook and create now as I did when my kids were all little, but I still love preparing meals for my husband and myself when our schedules allow for a sit-down meal together. And when they don't I love having homemade soups in the freezer to have a quicker meal! Fall is absolutely the best for this for me!!

I need to freeze some soups too. The problem around here is that it is all gone on the second day. Perhaps I need to make larger batches.

Fall!! Definitely!!! And for the same reasons you've stated! I too LOVE to make chills and soups, etc. This year I am going to make extra big batches and freeze so I have handy meals for the times I can't cook.

I need to do that as well mommy42!

Reaction score
I like fall too because of seasonal things like pumpkin pie, pecan divinity and gingerbread flavored items. There are certain things that are only available at this time of year, like pumpkin pie flavored coffee and limited edition doughnuts that I look forward to.

I also want to be out of this crappy apartment by Christmas so that I can bake gingerbread ninjas and put up the 7 foot metallic blue Christmas tree that I bought at Walmart on clearance last year.

Reaction score
I like fall too because of seasonal things like pumpkin pie, pecan divinity and gingerbread flavored items. There are certain things that are only available at this time of year, like pumpkin pie flavored coffee and limited edition doughnuts that I look forward to.

I also want to be out of this crappy apartment by Christmas so that I can bake gingerbread ninjas and put up the 7 foot metallic blue Christmas tree that I bought at Walmart on clearance last year.

Gingerbread ninjas? Now that sounds interesting. Yes pumpkin is one of my favorite ingredients for the fall.

Reaction score
I love baking in the autumn/fall too. The cooler weather means you don't overheat when in the kitchen, and I just love going for walks in the autumn sunshine to buy my ingredients then cosying up inside to bake all day. I like baking in winter too, and I'm really looking forward to my winter baking this year especially - since getting Pinterest, I've been obsessively collecting ideas for Christmas bakes and I can't wait to get started!

Reaction score
I love baking in the autumn/fall too. The cooler weather means you don't overheat when in the kitchen, and I just love going for walks in the autumn sunshine to buy my ingredients then cosying up inside to bake all day. I like baking in winter too, and I'm really looking forward to my winter baking this year especially - since getting Pinterest, I've been obsessively collecting ideas for Christmas bakes and I can't wait to get started!

I am another Pinterest addict! I have so many holiday recipes pinned I will never be able to afford to make them all!

Reaction score
I need to freeze some soups too. The problem around here is that it is all gone on the second day. Perhaps I need to make larger batches.

I always make a double batch, triple if I'm making tomato basil. It helps that the kids are all grown and moved out. Last year when my Mom was still here I couldn't keep tomato basil soup in "stock". :)

Reaction score

DItto on the pumpkin stuff! DD has the most amazing pumpkin flavored cream cheese...tastes just like pumpkin pie filling. Plus, I just love the LOOKS of all the fall things....pumpkins, gourds, mums. Those rich colors really appeal to me. There's something so comforting about fall to me!!!

ASCAPA the recipe for pecan divinity and gingerbread ninjas would be appreciated. Though, like Shellyann I don't think I'll ever be able to make all the recipes I collect! LOL

Reaction score

It's SO worth the time. And since you're often already making that meal.... Tonight my husband and I will enjoy soup from the freezer. When I'm busy or just feel like using some of my time for myself I love knowing I can grab a container of soup from the freezer, add a sandwich, and still have a warm, homemade meal!

Reaction score
Ah! That is wonderful! Isn't it?!

My sister and her hubby just adopted their first baby so they have their hands full! I'm planning to take them some of the frozen meals too!
I remember the days when you felt like you couldn't even get a shower in let alone a meal prepared!!! LOL

I have some stew, soup and chili recipes I plan to freeze in ziploc bags - takes up less space in the freezer. I also have a recipe for mini meatloaves made in cupcake/muffin tins.
They are so much easier and quicker than the traditional loaf! And they freeze well - and they are small so you can put them in a container - stacked inside. :)

Reaction score
I have to say I like Autumn and Winter because I like to make cakes and puddings with plenty of cinnamon. I love cinammon, it's such a lovely taste and is so Christmassy. mmmmm

Reaction score
Oooh, I too love cinnamon! I actually found out a couple of years ago that you can use cinnamon and honey to help shorten colds!
We actually use it in our house! My son loves how it tastes and uses it anytime he gets sick.
It is 1/2tsp cinnamon mixed with 1 tablespoon honey. And then you just eat it! It tastes pretty good!! ;-)
We swear it helps to shorten colds!!!

Reaction score
Ah! That is wonderful! Isn't it?!

My sister and her hubby just adopted their first baby so they have their hands full! I'm planning to take them some of the frozen meals too!
I remember the days when you felt like you couldn't even get a shower in let alone a meal prepared!!! LOL

I have some stew, soup and chili recipes I plan to freeze in ziploc bags - takes up less space in the freezer. I also have a recipe for mini meatloaves made in cupcake/muffin tins.
They are so much easier and quicker than the traditional loaf! And they freeze well - and they are small so you can put them in a container - stacked inside. :)

Congrats to your sister and bil! I really need to freeze more meals this year. It is a habit that I have gotten out of and need to start again. It is quite a bit colder today than it has been and I am wondering if I should make something warm and soothing such as soup!

I have to say I like Autumn and Winter because I like to make cakes and puddings with plenty of cinnamon. I love cinammon, it's such a lovely taste and is so Christmassy. mmmmm

I do so love cinnamon too. All of the candles I buy in the apple cinnamon flavor and I love to get those cinnamon brooms at the Dollar General stores during the holidays. They smell awesome!

Oooh, I too love cinnamon! I actually found out a couple of years ago that you can use cinnamon and honey to help shorten colds!
We actually use it in our house! My son loves how it tastes and uses it anytime he gets sick.
It is 1/2tsp cinnamon mixed with 1 tablespoon honey. And then you just eat it! It tastes pretty good!! ;-)

I use the same thing except I boil a half cup of water and mix the cinnamon in with it then I let that mixture cool to room tempature then mix the honey in. This helps stabalize your blood sugar level and I have lost quite a bit of weight this way! My recipe says do it once in the morning on an empty stomach and at night before you go to bed. I love this stuff!

Reaction score
Shellyann36 - your recipe for the water, honey and cinnamon sounds really interesting. How did you use it to lose weight?? You've really got my wheels turning! :)

I like the cinnamon "flavored" candles too and I usually have a candle burning every day throughout the colder months. Bath and Body Works has some amazing scents! I just got one the other day that makes the house smell like I've been baking and gives me a warm, cozy feeling!!! It is cinnamon and clove buds! So nice!!!! I've also gotten ones from there that are usually on sale after Christmas and I snatch a bunch of them up: Twisted Peppermint!! I really love it and my family will actually ask me to quit burning it because I do it non-stop!!! LOL

I should probably work in a candle shop!

Thanks for the congrats on my sis and brother in law's baby! They waited 11 years - between trying to have a baby and adopting a baby. It is such a blessing for them! They have a little boy and he is so sweet! Makes me miss those days when my kids were that young............ok, maybe not that much as it was a lot of hard work and sleepless nights!!! :)

Reaction score
Shellyann36 and mommy42, I've never heard about mixing honey and cinnamon! I am so prone to colds, and I love both those ingredients so maybe that's something I'll need to start using. I'm also intrigued about how it can help you lose weight - I've put on half a stone since coming home from university for the summer, and while I'm still a healthy weight, I'm desperate to shift it off again!

Reaction score
My only problem with burning those kinds of candles is it makes me hungry! LOL. I, too, love having a candle burning. Type of scent depends on time of year. I had to go to B&BW last week to get some "summery" scents because everything I had in stock was wintery/Christmasy.

On another fall note: I have several volunteer plants growing in my gardens this summer...pumpkins and ornamental gourds among them. Guess who's going to be a happy camper when it comes time to decorate for Fall?

Oh, and I made two batches of soup this week....stuff pepper for a friend who just had surgery and tomato-basil for an upcoming family gathering. (triple batch of the tomato basil)

Reaction score
I can't wait either! Like you, I don't bake much in the summer; its way too hot! In the fall though its perfect and delicious. Not to mention all the soups, chili, and other hot foods that aren't necessarily baked goods. Plus pumpkin! You're right; fall is the best time of year. Its just so delicious!

Reaction score
I use the same thing except I boil a half cup of water and mix the cinnamon in with it then I let that mixture cool to room tempature then mix the honey in. This helps stabalize your blood sugar level and I have lost quite a bit of weight this way! My recipe says do it once in the morning on an empty stomach and at night before you go to bed. I love this stuff!

Thanks, ladies! I'm happily sipping a hot cupful of water, cinnamon and honey while I type (well, not EXACTLY at the same time! LOL) I think you may very well have given me an alternative to my other cold-weather drinks of coffee and green tea. Always nice to have choices. If there are added health benefits for colds and weight loss...well, not necessary, but a plus, for sure!

Ask a Question